55 gallon cichlid few random questions and need scientific names??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon tank, 1 hagen C4 filter (up to 70 gallons) and am getting another one the same when I get my cichlids. I also have an extra filter that is in the water just to make current. along with two heaters set at 80. my nitrate level is a bit high right now but am working on water changes and bringing it down. it will be down by the time i get the cichlids for sure (few months). I am planning on buying them in two different groups. I am going to buy as many as the store has when i go the first time and I think they usually only have 3-4 of each kind then I will get more when the other fish come in. I am going to buy them from petsmart and the bristlenose local. petsmart has different names then what some people call them but they have the scientific names so if i have them it will be easy to find them.

6 yellow labs (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
6 ???????????? (Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos)
1 acei (?????)
3 red zebras (??????)
1 bristlenose pleco

2 gallon, 29 gallon, 29 gallon, 55 gallon :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Are you trying to breed or would this be a show tank? If you want to avoid interbreeding, I'd avoid mixing red zebra and yellow labs but if you are getting a all male tank, it should be fine.

I would also get 4 yellow tailed acei, they seem to enjoy being in groups. I wouldn't get more than 4 since a 55 is slightly constraining.

Are you trying to breed or would this be a show tank? If you want to avoid interbreeding, I'd avoid mixing red zebra and yellow labs but if you are getting a all male tank, it should be fine.

I would also get 4 yellow tailed acei, they seem to enjoy being in groups. I wouldn't get more than 4 since a 55 is slightly constraining.

since i buy them an inch i cant tell the genders. i do not any breeding but can not stop it if it happens. i would likely sell one of them so there isnt a pair. dont get me wrong I do really want more of the acei's but they get a bit big. I will not be upgrading and would like two but that can turn out bad

I have a 55 gallon tank, 1 hagen C4 filter (up to 70 gallons) and am getting another one the same when I get my cichlids. I also have an extra filter that is in the water just to make current. along with two heaters set at 80. my nitrate level is a bit high right now but am working on water changes and bringing it down. it will be down by the time i get the cichlids for sure (few months). I am planning on buying them in two different groups. I am going to buy as many as the store has when i go the first time and I think they usually only have 3-4 of each kind then I will get more when the other fish come in. I am going to buy them from petsmart and the bristlenose local. petsmart has different names then what some people call them but they have the scientific names so if i have them it will be easy to find them.

6 Mainganos (Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos)
1 acei (?????)
3 red zebras (metriaclima estherae)
1 bristlenose pleco

2 gallon, 29 gallon, 29 gallon, 55 gallon :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Added the names i knew for you ^

I think the acei is called
pseudotropheous acei

Not sure 3 zebras is a good idea if they arent m / 2 f as they are aggressive towards their species

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1730

Added the names i knew for you ^

I think the acei is called
pseudotropheous acei

Not sure 3 zebras is a good idea if they arent m / 2 f as they are aggressive towards their species

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1730

Okay thank you and sounds good. I will get rid of the zebras and what should i get instead? I still think i only want one acei, will that be fine or will it be lonely

Cant speak from experience as i havent ever kept acei but from what i read 1 should b ok or mayb 3.. it really just depends on what you want . I personally wouldnt add any since it likes to swim and it will occupy the top of the tank plus gets up to 6in .. but alot of people do have them in a 55g.

I wouldn't recommend acei at all in a 55. Reasons being are because they get to big plus they are open water swimmers and need swimming room.

I also have Labidochromis Caeruleus and Metriaclima estherae together and I have no problems.

IMHO you need to stay under 5" the smaller the better.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

I am so confused. It is okay to keep the zebra??? Should i change the number to only one of them so they are not aggressive? Also i kinda like the acei but can bet rid of it if i had to. What can go in there instead? My rocks are leaded up against the back glass of the tank and will only have a few here and there infront of the rocks in the back

You can keep red zebra's and yellow labs if you wish, but there is a high possibility they will crossbreed. If you are planning to sell the fry I would not keep them together. If you don't mind the hybrid fish and want to keep them for yourself that is fine. I would get rid of the red zebra's and add some Rusty's

You can keep red zebra's and yellow labs if you wish, but there is a high possibility they will crossbreed. If you are planning to sell the fry I would not keep them together. If you don't mind the hybrid fish and want to keep them for yourself that is fine. I would get rid of the red zebra's and add some Rusty's

well I do not any breeding since i have no other tank to raise the fry in. I dont mind raising them just cant afford to buy another tank and no room HAHA. I looked at the rusty's on google and they look like they can be a weird/nasty color (browny yellow) I want a nice color that will pop and be bright. I show everyone my tanks and what to be proud of it

I am so confused. It is okay to keep the zebra???
You can keep it in all reality they can all breed with another it doesn't matter. If you.don't just keep one type of mouthbrooder together your chances of having hybrids are high.

should i change the number to only one of them so they are not aggressive?
That's not really going to help a lot. Some are more aggressive to their own kind but are still aggressive to others. I would do your original plan on # but drop the acei.

also i kinda like the acei but can get rid of it if i had to.

I'd leave them out your mangaino will fill that spot of colors. Add more of those if you want more blue.

what can go in there instead? My rocks are leaded up against the back glass of the tank and will only have a few here and there infront of the rocks in the back

I'd pick a big group of a cynotalapia or an elongatus of some sort. I'd send you some but I don't have any yet

You can keep it in all reality they can all breed with another it doesn't matter. If you.don't just keep one type of mouthbrooder together your chances of having hybrids are high.

That's not really going to help a lot. Some are more aggressive to their own kind but are still aggressive to others. I would do your original plan on # but drop the acei.

I'd leave them out your mangaino will fill that spot of colors. Add more of those if you want more blue.

I'd pick a big group of a cynotalapia or an elongatus of some sort. I'd send you some but I don't have any yet

Thank you!! that info really helped
Can you tell me what ones are mouth breeders???
I think I will do these ones. do you think this will work?

6 Mainganos (Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos)
3 cynotilapia (Will they look like this? https://www.google.ca/search?q=cyno...w.africa-acuario.com%2FCynotilpia.htm;400;287 or this?? https://www.google.ca/search?q=cyno...ranchi-cichlids.com%2FCynotilapia.htm;500;375 I want them to look like the first one.
3 red zebras (metriaclima estherae)
1 bristlenose pleco

I dont think I need more blue, my backround is blue and these ones are also blue. The only thing i am not sure about is 6 are blue 6 are yellow 3 half and half then 3 orange. will that be enough different colors?

All these get like long and skinny if you know what I mean, is there any that get big? Like an oscar does? or is that a different kind of cichlids?

i dont think the picture comes up on the first site i copied but it might be the first picture? Its yellow on the top body and blue on the bottom

i dont think the picture comes up on the first site i copied but it might be the first picture? Its yellow on the top body and blue on the bottom

That fish is this one
https://www.google.ca/url?q=http://...4QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGzg3LoGK0YhEMSTpIgEle09kV5fg

Its a good choice the only problem is you'll have to get it online as I highly doubt you'll find it in an lfs. You may be able to find a member willing to sell some. I have them but I don't have fry.

Just a tank with the different colors of blue and the yellow of the labs will make the tank look stunning IMO.

Check your local adds you may get lucky and find a breeder in your area. Plus ask your fish stores if they can get them for you. Where are you from?

I could check craiglist, I dont really like buying fish online at all though. rather see them and get to pick them and not be in creapy houses lol. I live in Canada B.C.

Back
Top Bottom