Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

55 gallon cichlid few random questions and need scientific names??

I have a 55 gallon tank, 1 hagen C4 filter (up to 70 gallons) and am getting another one the same when I get my cichlids. I also have an extra filter that is in the water just to make current. along with two heaters set at 80. my nitrate level is a bit high right now but am working on water changes and bringing it down. it will be down by the time i get the cichlids for sure (few months). I am planning on buying them in two different groups. I am going to buy as many as the store has when i go the first time and I think they usually only have 3-4 of each kind then I will get more when the other fish come in. I am going to buy them from petsmart and the bristlenose local. petsmart has different names then what some people call them but they have the scientific names so if i have them it will be easy to find them.

6 yellow labs (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
6 ???????????? (Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos)
1 acei (?????)
3 red zebras (??????)
1 bristlenose pleco

2 gallon, 29 gallon, 29 gallon, 55 gallon

Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Are you trying to breed or would this be a show tank? If you want to avoid interbreeding, I'd avoid mixing red zebra and yellow labs but if you are getting a all male tank, it should be fine.

I would also get 4 yellow tailed acei, they seem to enjoy being in groups. I wouldn't get more than 4 since a 55 is slightly constraining.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar View Post
Are you trying to breed or would this be a show tank? If you want to avoid interbreeding, I'd avoid mixing red zebra and yellow labs but if you are getting a all male tank, it should be fine.

I would also get 4 yellow tailed acei, they seem to enjoy being in groups. I wouldn't get more than 4 since a 55 is slightly constraining.

since i buy them an inch i cant tell the genders. i do not any breeding but can not stop it if it happens. i would likely sell one of them so there isnt a pair. dont get me wrong I do really want more of the acei's but they get a bit big. I will not be upgrading and would like two but that can turn out bad
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariah View Post
I have a 55 gallon tank, 1 hagen C4 filter (up to 70 gallons) and am getting another one the same when I get my cichlids. I also have an extra filter that is in the water just to make current. along with two heaters set at 80. my nitrate level is a bit high right now but am working on water changes and bringing it down. it will be down by the time i get the cichlids for sure (few months). I am planning on buying them in two different groups. I am going to buy as many as the store has when i go the first time and I think they usually only have 3-4 of each kind then I will get more when the other fish come in. I am going to buy them from petsmart and the bristlenose local. petsmart has different names then what some people call them but they have the scientific names so if i have them it will be easy to find them.

6 yellow labs (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
6 Mainganos (Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos)
1 acei (?????)
3 red zebras (metriaclima estherae)
1 bristlenose pleco

2 gallon, 29 gallon, 29 gallon, 55 gallon
Added the names i knew for you ^

I think the acei is called
pseudotropheous acei

Not sure 3 zebras is a good idea if they arent m / 2 f as they are aggressive towards their species

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=1730
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacks View Post

Added the names i knew for you ^

I think the acei is called
pseudotropheous acei

Not sure 3 zebras is a good idea if they arent m / 2 f as they are aggressive towards their species

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=1730
Okay thank you and sounds good. I will get rid of the zebras and what should i get instead? I still think i only want one acei, will that be fine or will it be lonely
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #6

Cant speak from experience as i havent ever kept acei but from what i read 1 should b ok or mayb 3.. it really just depends on what you want . I personally wouldnt add any since it likes to swim and it will occupy the top of the tank plus gets up to 6in .. but alot of people do have them in a 55g.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar View Post

Just saw this .. sounds like cornstar knows from experience..
Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacks View Post

Just saw this .. sounds like cornstar knows from experience..
I wouldn't recommend acei at all in a 55. Reasons being are because they get to big plus they are open water swimmers and need swimming room.

I also have Labidochromis Caeruleus and Metriaclima estherae together and I have no problems.

IMHO you need to stay under 5" the smaller the better.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-m...dcor-hardware/
Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

I wouldn't recommend acei at all in a 55. Reasons being are because they get to big plus they are open water swimmers and need swimming room.

I also have Labidochromis Caeruleus and Metriaclima estherae together and I have no problems.

IMHO you need to stay under 5" the smaller the better.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-m...dcor-hardware/
I am so confused. It is okay to keep the zebra??? Should i change the number to only one of them so they are not aggressive? Also i kinda like the acei but can bet rid of it if i had to. What can go in there instead? My rocks are leaded up against the back glass of the tank and will only have a few here and there infront of the rocks in the back
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can keep red zebra's and yellow labs if you wish, but there is a high possibility they will crossbreed. If you are planning to sell the fry I would not keep them together. If you don't mind the hybrid fish and want to keep them for yourself that is fine. I would get rid of the red zebra's and add some Rusty's

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, cichlid, gallon, ich, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com