55 gallon first time cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok guys, very soon, I'm going to be setting up my first cichlid tank, I am very excited!
I really like the black convicts, and I was wondering if I could keep one, I know they are South American and shouldn't go with African, but I'm hoping I can do it
These are the fish I have access to, can you guys give me a number of fish and which I should get?
Thanks
Also any background info in them will be highly appreciated( diet, care, temp.)
Thank you
Black convict
Kenyi
Electric yellow lab
Jewel cichlid
Electric blue
Bumble bee
Auratus
Acei cichlid
Also, any other fish that can go with them, preferably bottom feeders?

Ok, I guess I'm going African, I want to put more fish in the tank, and the Americans are too agressive to keep with others, they only have blood parrots, oscars, convicts, and another type that's pretty agressive
Which Africans should I use? I want something colorful, and how many?

Cookie Cutter - 55-gallons will get you pointed in the right direction for stocking. Also try to google "55 gallon cichlid stock" or similar variations. There are many posts on this forum, and many others like it with lots of information and suggestions.

Ok guys, very soon, I'm going to be setting up my first cichlid tank, I am very excited!
I really like the black convicts, and I was wondering if I could keep one, I know they are South American and shouldn't go with African, but I'm hoping I can do it
These are the fish I have access to, can you guys give me a number of fish and which I should get?
Thanks
Also any background info in them will be highly appreciated( diet, care, temp.)
Thank you
Black convict
Kenyi
Electric yellow lab
Jewel cichlid
Electric blue
Bumble bee
Auratus
Acei cichlid
Also, any other fish that can go with them, preferably bottom feeders?

All of those fish are fine but no convict just for good measure.

Wow, that's pretty cool!

So how many of each can I keep? 2 of each? And how many pictus cats?

Do you think it's good to get 2 of each species, it will end up being 12 cichlids, is that too much?

You want to overstock africans to reduce aggression, i think even 15 would be okay.

Oh wow really?! That's cool, never heard of oberatocking being ok, lol
If I add one more of each species I will have 18, should I keep it to 15 or is 18 ok?

African mbuna are one of the only types of fish that should be overstocked. And i think 18 is maybe pushing it, it could be okay, but i'd stick with about 15.

Back
Top Bottom