55 gallon Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fearitself

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi I currently have a 10 gallon tank with fancy guppies but i am looking to upgrade. I found a good deal on a 55 gallon tank and supplies. I was wondering if a 55 gallon would be big enough for a JD and if possible other tank mates.

a 55 is big enough for a JD but not a lot else. you may be able to have a medium sized pleco or catfish as long as you introduce them while the JD is still small but anything other than bottom feeders won't have a chance once the JD gets bigger and more aggressive

alright thanks. i already have a pleco that is about 4 inches long and he will go in with him. i plan on getting a baby so do you think it will be alright?

There are a lot of different kinds of plecostomas, the common pleco that most places like petco and petsmart sell grow up to 2 feet and need more than a 55 gal. There are species that don't get as big though, like the rubber lip pleco or bristlenose pleco only get about 5 inches long.

I made the mistake of buying a common pleco a while back before I got serious about the hobby and learned to research before buying. It is in my 55 with my JD and is about 7-8 inches long. If I can't get a bigger tank in the next year or less I'm going to have to find a new home for it.

im afraid i made the same mistake because i got it from petsmart. so i think i will have to do the same.

You can always bring the Pleco back to a LFS, try to sell it on here, or somebody local near you will probably take it.

I have a common Pleco and it is brown with black stripes or dots. I got it for one dollar at the pet store and when or if it actually does get up to a foot or even TWO then I know they will take em even if I have to give it away. ( I have asked at least a dozen different pet stores around me in Chicagoland Area )

It's better then stunting there growth and not giving them enough space. Plus they have a pretty big bio load and get cranky when they are older at least thats what I know from friends and past experience when I was younger and had em.

I bought it for a dollar and I will probably find a pet store that will trade me for other fish, plants or store credit or might just take it off my hands.

So if I can have a fish that is helping me clean up some extra food and stuff in my tank, looks cool, is really cheap and is docile especially when young and I have the potential to get other fish or plants that would cost more than I am happy. Lol

Remember just ask the LFS and see what they say or post it on here and see what happens but you will have a while to decide on what to do and what route to take.

Please please please do not ever put him in your local waterways especially if you live where it gets cold. They will not survive the weather at all this shouldn't matter though as you are never gonna put fish in your local waterways right? Lol

Just my opinion hopes this helps.

Bill

thank you it helps alot. i would never put him out in the wild either.

Back
Top Bottom