55 Gallon *Possibly*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I've typed this way too many times, I am going to make it short. ;)

I'm thinking of doing a CA/SA cichlid tank. HUKIT recommended me to search a few types of fish and these are the ones I like:

Blood Parrot Cichlid (I "must" have that in the tank)
Cryptoheros nanoluteus
Cryptoheros altoflavus
Thoichthys affinis
Thorichthys aureus
Thorichthys pasionis

I think they are pretty but I am also thinking I can't have all of them. I am a newb when it comes to Cichlids like these so I need help with how many, which ones, etc.
If I could have my way I would have a BPC, some Mbuna, and 8 Tiger Barbs, but I know that isn't gunna happen. :lol:

TIA for all the help I know I will have more questions later :oops:

Blood Parrot Cichlid (I "must" have that in the tank)
Cryptoheros nanoluteus
Cryptoheros altoflavus
Thoichthys affinis
Thorichthys aureus
Thorichthys pasionis

While those are some great options(some a little hard to get a hold of) I have less than zero experience with blood parrots with regards to their temperment so it's hard for me to recommend a stocking plan.

I have one of each, thorichtys pasionis & aureum for over a year in my 55. Great looking fish, good choice. T pasionis is pretty difficult to find, I haven't seen one since.

. T pasionis is pretty difficult to find, I haven't seen one since.

I have pasiones, mixteco gold sp., maculipinnis(same fish as aureum), and meeki they are are relatively well behaved even when spawning.

With regards to cryptoheros I currently have nanoluteus, septemfasciatus, cutteri, panamensis, chetumalensis, sajica, and honduran sp. The only ones I'm missing are spilurus and altoflavus(both of which are extremely rare). I'm only one of handful of people in the states with the septemfasciatus from Rio Guacimito, Costa Rica.

Any of the above mentioned fish would be a great fit in a 55g for life wether it's a pair or single fish. Here are a few of my fish, loads more in album.

Attachments

• pasionisman.jpg
    pasionisman.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 145
  • imagesCAOIFSH2.jpg
    imagesCAOIFSH2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 148
  • user27198_pic41002_1344210941.jpg
    user27198_pic41002_1344210941.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 154
  • user27198_pic40907_1343956480.jpg
    user27198_pic40907_1343956480.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
After doing research and looking at pictures and stuff, I have decided if I do one, I'd probably go with an Mbuna tank, because the fish are a lot easier to find. We just have petco/petsmart and a little lfs. They carry some basic SA/CA cichlids but I don't think they have these. I could probably have them order some of them, but I am not sure!

ETA- If I do these fish, could I still do a blood parrot?

I dabbled a bit mixing cichlids before going to Africans only. I had blood parrots and adored them. It broke my heart when the more aggressive fish in my tank killed them. Parrots are (IME ) very timid cichlids I often described mine as the "pups" of the tank and could often see and almost hear them doing the "which way did he go George? Which way did he go!?" From my experience with these fish I wouldn't put them in with any fish that are aggressive at all. I have seen them listed in fish stores as semi-aggressive but after having some myself I disagree with that statement I found them to be very vulnerable in a semi-aggressive setting.

I think I am going to do an all Mbuna tank (or the below) if I do a 55... 3 different species, and 1m/4f
So far I am thinking yellow labs and Pseudotropheus socolofi. I need to think of another one that has colorful females also. I am thinking red/orange or green in color. Any suggestions?

I dabbled a bit mixing cichlids before going to Africans only. I had blood parrots and adored them. It broke my heart when the more aggressive fish in my tank killed them. Parrots are (IME ) very timid cichlids I often described mine as the "pups" of the tank and could often see and almost hear them doing the "which way did he go George? Which way did he go!?" From my experience with these fish I wouldn't put them in with any fish that are aggressive at all. I have seen them listed in fish stores as semi-aggressive but after having some myself I disagree with that statement I found them to be very vulnerable in a semi-aggressive setting.

I love them too, but I don't think I want another community. Maybe if I did it would be all cichlids, but not african. Angels, blood parrots, dwarf cichlids, I don't know there are too many options! :lol:

I had a BP in an mbuna tank years ago and the mbunas tore him all up. I moved him to a tank on his own but he ended up dieing from his injuries. I mean they tore all his fins and tail off and he was missing a lot of his scales. I felt really bad about it, at the time i didnt know any better.

I think I am going to do an all Mbuna tank (or the below) if I do a 55... 3 different species, and 1m/4f
So far I am thinking yellow labs and Pseudotropheus socolofi. I need to think of another one that has colorful females also. I am thinking red/orange or green in color. Any suggestions?

Others may be able to help sex them for you better than I.... But for a third species you may consider the yellow tail Acie. IMO a beautiful fish and a great addition to a community tank. They have an added benefit of being easy to source.

Attachments

• image-737590018.jpg
    image-737590018.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 73
They are very pretty.. Are they purple? That's cool. So I would have yellow, blue, an purple.. I think that would be a good mix. I will have to consider that.

Yeah depending on how the light hits them they may appear more gray at times. They always catch my attention in the tank bc as they move through the tank the colors constantly change. I keep them with labs and a few hongi. Like you I wanted a third species and was thinking socolofi but when I couldn't get my hands on any I picked up the Acie. They have been a nice addition.

Back
Top Bottom