55 Stocking Dwarf Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt_G

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys

Im new to dwarf cichlids so thats why im here. I have a 55 gal long, tetra wisper 70 and an aquaclear 70. Im planning on getting a pair of electric blue rams. Just wondering what can i put in with them??

Thanks
Maty

Freakgecko91 said:
How long has the tank been running? What are your parameters?

A little over a year n a half. Everything was perfect when i checked last week. Ph is neutral 7 (constant). Its actually my dads tank but he got tired of the upkeep working so much so he handed it over to me. He has all kinds of testing equip so ive been monitoring it the past couple weeks. He had tetras n cories in it but only 5 cories are left as of right now. (albino cories)

Personally, I would stay away from the electric blues, they are extremely fragile, even more so than the regular German blues, which are horribly fragile themselves. Bolivians are much hardier, not as colorful, but much hardier. Also look into laetacara cut ices or cleithocara maronii, both suitable for a 55, highly peaceful, and beautiful in their own right

Others include nannacara, dicrossus, apistogramma, biodotema cupido (Cupid cichlid), rainbow cichlid, and many other :) my best advice for dwarves is research, research, research :)

You could also go slightly bigger with a pair of Sajica, Keyholes, or Firemouths - though you couldn't put much more with them. Bolivians are lovely fish and I also recommend them. You should also keep space to add a few Tetra in with selections as this helps settle the Cichlids.

I recommended keyholes ;) and plenty can o with keyholes! Arguably one of the most peaceful of all cichlids, just to throw that out there, cleithocara maronii are one of my favorite cichlids

Don't shy away from gbr's because someone tells you their "horribly fragile" They in fact are not fragile and are suprisingly easy to keep and breed if you desire. Just do your homework. Ebgbr's on the otherhand are extremely weak and should be avoided imo.

They are highly susceptible to issues caused by even slight problems in water parameters. They are indeed fragile due to overbreeding at fish farms in Asia. If you get them from a good local breeder, they're usually fine.

Back
Top Bottom