55g african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME Peacocks are pretty mellow as far as Africans go.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IME Peacocks are pretty mellow as far as Africans go.

That is what I have heard. Would syno. Multipuctatus work with peacocks in a 55? They seem like they would work, but i'm not experienced with african cichlids

I dont see why not. I have no experience with multipunctatus though.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449941704.735334.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449941717.649467.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449941739.936850.jpg
Here is my tank with 1 hap electric blue 1 jewel 1 bi 500 peacocks 1 sunshine peacock 2 ob peacocks 1 flame tail peacock

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plecos are South American and do better with softer water try a synodontis catfish cat instead they are African and can defend themselves

How is this for a stocklist?

1 sunshine Peacock
1 Lemon Jake
1 Dragon Blood
2-3 Zebra obliquidens
How does this sound for a 55 gallon? The Zebra Obliquidens would be either 1m/2f or 1m/1f

I think it will work just keep in mind your mixing lakes but the peacocks love to swim on top and the Zebra obliquidens will stay near the rocks. Now this is no guarantee my sunshine will hide in his rock like a hermit. Than come out and dominate the tank. Either way watch the aggression I tried many different sets as I have had some murderer peacocks kill the other peacocks and mbuna. I switch them out if they became too aggressive and I always added 2 or 3 at a time. Aside from rearranging the tank when I do

I have 8 fish including my syno cat 5 peacocks 1 hap 1 river cichlid

Yeah you won't know until you try all fish are different I think it can work I also think you can add more if you want just keep in mind peacocks go crazy with even 1 female I am not sure if mbuna females do that I never tried. I had 1 female peacock ob peacock I didn't know was female anyway I lost 2 peacocks before I figured it out

Sorry to bump ths thread again but I have revised my stocklist again. How does this sound?

1 Sunshine peacock
1 Rubescens peacock
1 OB peacock
1 sulfur head peacock
2 zebra obliquidens

Sounds like a good list.
When were you going to get started ?

I plan to buy a 55 around january, so I will start a build thread when it get it

Looks like you are doing a nice job of planning before jumping in so good job. Remember that it takes about a month to cycle a tank before adding fish so something to keep in mind.

I have 39 mbuna in a 60g. 10 acei, 11 yellow labs, and 18 demasoni. I bought them as fry with the plan to remove some males once they were old enough to sex, but have found they seem to get along well enough that out hasn't been necessary. I think the overstocking helps with the aggression, plus the acei and labs are more "peaceful" as far add mbuna go.

I do 50% water changes about every week and a half and clean the canister every other water change. Numbers always are good.

The fry grow pretty quick... a good size by 4 months and you can get them a lot less expensive that way, just an option to think about.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like you are doing a nice job of planning before jumping in so good job. Remember that it takes about a month to cycle a tank before adding fish so something to keep in mind.

I have 39 mbuna in a 60g. 10 acei, 11 yellow labs, and 18 demasoni. I bought them as fry with the plan to remove some males once they were old enough to sex, but have found they seem to get along well enough that out hasn't been necessary. I think the overstocking helps with the aggression, plus the acei and labs are more "peaceful" as far add mbuna go.

I do 50% water changes about every week and a half and clean the canister every other water change. Numbers always are good.

The fry grow pretty quick... a good size by 4 months and you can get them a lot less expensive that way, just an option to think about.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you, I will probably get young males and a young pair of the obliquidens, as I plan to do all males except the obliquidens.

Back
Top Bottom