55g Mbuna advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treym563

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I'm planning a 55g cichlid tank and I want to get the opinions of some experienced cichlid owners. My two favorite cichlids are the Yellow Lab and the Demasoni and from what I've read so far those two could work together. My idea right now is for 6 Labs 1 male 5 females but I'm not sure about the Demasoni's. I've read anywhere from a 1male/5females all the way up to 1 male/15 females for the Demasoni's..Anyone have experience with these and have some ideas?

Also, if I have those two types, would I be able to put a 3rd species with them or is my tank pretty much maxed out with those two types?

I don't think a 55 is big enough for labs and dems, due to the amount of dems needed to spread out aggression. Dems generally need around 13-15 fish with 2 males and the rest females. You could do 3 spieces in a 55 but not in that comination.

Dang I was hoping it would work, I love how the dems look. Do you have any suggestions for what other 2 species I could choose? I forsure want the labs and Ive read they are fairly calm

If your looking for that blue/yellow look, I woulve to see a Saulosi speices tank with 3-4m to 12-15f purchased from juvies and the sort out your further stock.

Or if you really wants labs then your could add rusty's and socolofi.

I do like rusty's..how would red zebras fit in with the rustys and the labs, are the rustys and the red zebras gonna fight because of their similar color?

treym563 said:
I do like rusty's..how would red zebras fit in with the rustys and the labs, are the rustys and the red zebras gonna fight because of their similar color?

Mine get along fine in my 55. Actually my red zebra and rusty don't even interact lol.

I have to say the only fish I ever had trouble with were my red zebras. LOL That could just be me though, but my rz male was crazy and after he mated with the female I had to rehome him. Then I had to rehome the female after she gave birth. Now I just have a Zebra OB who is hopefully gonna be alot more calmer now with the other mbuna out of the tank!

Good luck, the zebras are pretty fish but in my experience alot of trouble! LOL

Currently doing a fishless cycle, just started it yesterday with no used media as this is my first tank. Although I do love the demasoni and the RZ is pretty cool as well I think I'm going to heed the warning from others and stay away from them since they are so aggressive. I know most of the Mbuna are but those two seem to be at the top of the list. I like the idea of labs/socolofi/rusty, do all three of those do best with around a 1:5 male/female ratio? This is gonna be hard because most of the good sites around sell these fish unsexed and rarely when they have sexed one's available they are already bigger than I want to start at, which I'm thinking would cause added aggression when I add them to my tank.

You'll end up buying more juvies than your end stock list. So you might end buying 30-35 fish and thinning them once you can sex them, after that you'll start rehoming. I had close to 80 mbuna in my 150g at one point before I started thinning the list to get down to proper stocking levels.

I know most of the Mbuna are but those two seem to be at the top of the list. I like the idea of labs/socolofi/rusty, do all three of those do best with around a 1:5 male/female ratio?

Exact same set-up as me ;)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/mbuna-size-and-compatibility-149414.html

I'd like to think I'm starting a trend but I'm sure this mix has probably been done a thousand times before me. Oh well.

I'm going for a 1/4 ratio myself but 1/5 would be better. I've read that the rustys are so mellow the ratio could probably be lowered a bit as long as the females aren't getting harassed. Maybe as low as 1/2 but it definitely depends on their individual personalities,so be conservative.

Right now I only have 2 female yellow labs and 5 unsexed rustys. No aggression at all. Actually they seem to think it's a community tank haha I'm sure that will change when they get bigger though. I'm getting the socolofi tomorrow so I'll see how that changes things.

I'm also looking into cobalt blue mbunas but leaning towards the soco's. Cynotilapia afra look really cool too but I couldn't find any near me.

Anyway ya, good luck with your tank. Be sure to get extras to weed out the males.

i just have one of each kind...but so far my bumble and kenyi are my two aggressors...

Back
Top Bottom