55g stock advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CKimmett

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to fish keeping and have a ton of questions! Firstly, I have a 55g with 2 yellow labs, 2 jewels, and 2 that I purchased from an "assorted Africans" tank which I think may be p. Elongatus?? They're all about 2"-3". Like I said, I'm new to this and I'll admit I picked them cuz they were pretty lol. Since finding this forum I've learned a lot and I realize that I've already made a lot of stocking mistakes. At first the fish were fine, but they are starting to get a bit aggressive with each other. I'm thinking I could rehome one of each type and then add something else? Also should I rehome the more aggressive fish out of each pair or the one getting picked on? I thought that yellow labs were supposed to be fairly peacefull and p. Elongatus extremely aggressive but they seem to be terrorizing each other equally. The other issue I'm having is that I recently purchased a used 30g tank off kijiji that was stocked with two large oscars, a 5" green terror, and two 8" common plecos! They sold the oscars thankfully, but said if I didn't take the rest they would be flushed....so I took them....and put them into my 55g tank since I had no where else to put them. I sold the two plecos but I've gotten attached to the green terror. Is a 55g too small to keep it? Not sure if its a male or female but it is quite timid and leaves the other fish alone. I even have to drop food right in from of its nose to get it to eat or else it'll just hide the whole time while the others eat. So I'm wondering what my options are. Can I keep the GT? If so what can I keep with it? Any advice would be appreciated!!

I'm a little confused on what fish you have.

Right now I understand you have:
1 Green Terror
2 Yellow Labs
2 Jewels
2 Assorts

1 55 gallon
1 30 gallon

Here's what I think you should do:

Place the Africans (labs, jewels, Assorts) in the 30 gallon. Africans are more aggressive than other fish so you will see aggressiveness. Do not put anything else in that tank except for decorations.

Place the Green Terror in the 55. (You could probably get by with putting another, smaller, South American in it as well.) Nothing aggressive. Possibly 2 convicts or 1 Firemouth. (Keep in mind, convicts are excessive breeders)

Any questions I'd be more than happy to answer.

Good luck!

The 30g I purchased to transfer the stock from my 15g community tank. so putting the Africans in there isn't really an option. I could use the 30g for them temporarily...but I don't even have it set up or cycled yet.

I know cichlids are going to be more aggressive, but at what point should I be worried that they will seriously hurt or kill each other? I already noticed today that my one jewel that gets picked on the most has a wound on its side.

I think your 30gal would be too small for the Africans, so you have to decide which direction to take your big tank, new world or old world, and also do you have enough rock work and hiding places in your 55, posting a pic of your current set up and stock will really help diagnosing any problems

I have to agree with the above post. Choosing whitch way you want to go will make things easier on you and healthier for the fish

Ok, thanks for the advice guys! Here's a pic of my 55g as requested. I don't really love the set up but it is what it is for now. I did try to add some slate/rocks for hiding spots.

image-3045883632.jpg

I think if I can rehome the green terror I'll do that and just keep the Africans.

Check with your lfs, a lot of em will take fish in on trade, and you definitely have room for a few more fish, but of course with more fish you need more hiding places, but your tank is coming along nicely

So i was able to arrange for someone to take the green terror. what would be some good options to add to my current stock of 2 yellow labs, 2 jewels, 2p. Elongatus? I want to completely redo the tank with lots more rock, sand substrate, plants etc.

And be sure to check out your local garden and landscaping centers for rocks before you shed out some major bucks at your lfs. Lighting is another issue that is easily overlooked, I ran the bulbs that came with my tank for awhile and when I switched to 50/50 bulbs it was a day and night difference. Also are you planning on live plants or fake 1s

I've had live plants before but I've never really had much luck with them....probably because I didnt have the right lights, fertilizers, etc. I think I'd just stick with some fake plants for now.

From my experience its better to add any live plants early when your fish are on the smaller side, I waited and my plants lasted maybe 4 hours, my brother added his when his fish were small and all his plants are doing great, but its probably still a roll of the dice

Is that because the fish can't pull them up as easily when they're smaller? My jewels are already 3" so would it matter?

Back
Top Bottom