55G stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlmonyMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have
2 Blue Dolphins (2-3inches)
2 Not sure names (2inches)
10 different colored Mbuna (all 1inch)

Can I add more. Should I add more, or is this plenty?

I am not an mbuna keeper but I believe the magic number for a 55gallon is around 12. So I think you are good where you are at.

The guy at the fish store I went to said that I had 4. Bought 10 on Sunday. He says come in and add 10 more next week and you should be good with 20-24 mbuna. I thought that was a lot. I want 2 more but that is it.

Don't listen to that person. You should not add 10 fish to a 55 all at once. You need time for the bacteria to catch up with the amount of fish (bio load) you are adding. I tell people start slow and don't add more than 5 fish each week or even two weeks. If you had a larger tank that has been running a long time you might be able to get away with it but what you have done is basically started your cycle all over again.

Keep an eye on your water parameters and watch for ammonia spikes, give it a few weeks and then add the two you wanted. I would recommend not adding anymore but if you have to then at least wait a few weeks.

Ok. Thanks a lot. I found a 306 Fluval canister filter for $75. I'm going to pick that up and then I will do water changes as you say. The ammonia has been present. How often should I do the changes and how much each time?

Ok. Thanks a lot. I found a 306 Fluval canister filter for $75. I'm going to pick that up and then I will do water changes as you say. The ammonia has been present. How often should I do the changes and how much each time?

Do 20-25% water changes daily until you have 0 ammonia. Ammonia will kill your fish it is by product of fish waste.

Ok. I will make sure I take care of that then. Thanks a lot for the help. I'm very new to cichlids and really aquariums. I'm doing my best to learn as I go

Ok. I will make sure I take care of that then. Thanks a lot for the help. I'm very new to cichlids and really aquariums. I'm doing my best to learn as I go

That's how we all started and that is how we learn. Its exciting to get into we just want to get everything right now. it winds up biting us in the butt. But you asked in time where you can turn it around hopefully without loosing any fish.

I would still like to see pics of the ones you couldn't identify. The outline of the one pic I saw had the body shape of a new world cichlid.

What PH should I keep the tank. I have many people telling me different levels.

To be honest people make huge deal about PH when it is really only a big deal with Salt Water fish and really sensitive fish like discus. 95% of peoples tap water is fine for keeping 95% of the fish out there. I have never buffered my fresh water tanks.

Drinking water is typically 6.5 -8.5ph anything less than 6.5 is considered acidic and will ruin pipes. Anything more than 8.5 will leave scale deposits. I have read Mbuna have recommendation from 7.0 to 8.5 this takes up almost the whole range of tap water so that is why I say it is not the issue most people make it out to be. If you cant not drink your tap water that is a different story.

Back
Top Bottom