55gal SA/CA stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newguy5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55gal lots of slate caves, flowerpots and plants for everyone to hide if needed. I've got a 6in RD, 6in JD, 3in tiger Oscar, 3in GT, 2in JD, 2in flowerhorn, 2in Texas, 1.5in jag. I know these fish will eventually outgrow this tank and they will be moved. I have another 55,29 to get ready a ready 29. Looking for a 180. But they get along great in this tank. No real fighting going on other than the normal chasing. It's definitely the RD's tank though. My question is how big will these fish get in a 55though without stunting them?

all of these fish need a 55g or larger to themselves. this tank is really overstocked, and it would not work out in the long run.

I agree, they may be fine now but not for long. Unfortunately when it comes to stunting and other overstock issues, by the time you see an issue the damage is already being done. My best advice would be to research the needs of each species and start moving them asap.

I think you'll have problems specifically with the jaguar and the flower horn when they get bigger. The red devil and texas could be problems as well with the other fish, depending n their temperament.

I don't think a 180g alone is the answer to your problems. Not once some of these monsters start growing up. Maybe if you hand pick some of them for the 180 and then keep a few isolated in smaller tanks. The problem is most of the fish get too big to keep even alone in smaller tanks.

Your also going to have a huge problem keeping the nitrates under control as well with fish this big. But, that's if they don't start killing each other first.

Your also going to have a huge problem keeping the nitrates under control as well with fish this big. But, that's if they don't start killing each other first.

These are your 2 biggest challenges, these fish are prone to health problems like Head And Laterlal Line Errosion that arise for poor water conditions. But you've managed to stock some of the nastiest tempered fish in a small space that like the movie title "There will be blood", your seeing some chasing now but none of these fish have reached maturity yet and that's when the fun starts. And the plan of a 180g isn't even close to the size of tank that would allow these ill-tempered fish to claim individual territory.

I completely agree with everyone's opinions on my tank being overstocked with some pretty wild and ruthless fish. But that's the kind of fish that interest me. And trust me that I have researched all these fish and have read "the Cichlid Fishes" also. They co-exist in the wild and it's not impossible to have them co-exist in aquarium setting. They will definitely be moved to bigger and better places when needed. I have a 29g, 35g, and another 55g to rehouse them in. Water conditions have never been a problem. Water changes of 25-35% weekly and never overfeed. I test every other week usually if needed. 180 might be too small I agree. Maybe I'll look into a 250

your 29, and 35 wouldnt house any of them. you need to do 25% daily wc's to keep ur params in line.

I completely agree with everyone's opinions on my tank being overstocked with some pretty wild and ruthless fish. But that's the kind of fish that interest me. And trust me that I have researched all these fish and have read "the Cichlid Fishes" also. They co-exist in the wild and it's not impossible to have them co-exist in aquarium setting. They will definitely be moved to bigger and better places when needed. I have a 29g, 35g, and another 55g to rehouse them in. Water conditions have never been a problem. Water changes of 25-35% weekly and never overfeed. I test every other week usually if needed. 180 might be too small I agree. Maybe I'll look into a 250

It's good that you are planning to be proactive about the situation, and it sounds like you have an idea of what you are getting into. I'm sure you have done some research, but have you overlooked the basics on what these fish need care-wise? Proper stocking is everything in a well functioning tank, it might seem all well and good while they are little, but when they grow up you are going to have all kinds of issues, there's no way around that besides shuffling them around, I'm sorry. I just hope that the cause for concern strikes before they start having major issues otherwise it could just be a lost cause for some of them.

As for them co-existing in the wild, it's a stretch. There's a big difference between a small enclosed environment and an open waterway. The issue with most of these fish is that they'll claim territory sizes much larger than you can provide in that current tank, or even a much bigger one to be honest. In nature they can and do get away from one another, in an aquarium they will just kill each other.

As far as water quality goes, daily water changes are a good idea, testing your nitrates daily will explain why. Once a week of 25%-35% is not going to be nearly enough as these fish get bigger, even a single one of the larger cichlids alone in a 55 is pushing it, bioload-wise.

I'm not sure where your getting information from but these fish do not share water, the Flowerhorn is a man made hybrid not existing in the wild, the Texas is found in the United States and Mexico, the RD and Jag is Central Americans, and the Oscar, JD, and GT are South Americans that inhabit different regions. I'm not being argumentive but merely pointing out the obvious, I keep some nasty tempered fish as well but there is a right and wrong way to go about stocking them and your going about this all wrong. I always recommend buy the tank then buy the fish...not the other way around. Even with all the planning and researching in the world with these fish it goes south in a hurry. Good luck and I'm glad you have a plan to upgrade hopefully it works out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom