55gal stock advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey friends,

i have a mix of mbunas, haps & peacocks that are mainly female. currently, i'm at 13 fish in my 55gal.

i was wondering what my MAX number of fish would be..?

i've noticed some minor nips & was going to try the 'more fish = less aggression' method, but i dont want to overstock OR kill myself in bioload to the point where i have to do 2 pwc's per week lol

i've read that 15 would be the most in the 55gal but i thought i'd ask my friends if it's safe to hit 16-17 maybe..?

currently my biggest is at 4.5-5inches, and my smallest are 2-2.5inches

i def plan to upgrade their tank when we move (minimum 75gal) but thats still a little ways away.

soo yeah, any advice would be appreciated.

thanks homies ;)

It's not so much the current size of your fish but the size they will get to when they are full size.
Which fish are getting nipped? Is it a specific group I.E the mbuna,haps or peacocks?
A list of your fish would be helpful.

i'll post the list when i get up tomorrow morning.. i'm at xmas parties all night tonight

but quickly, its mainly the males who are nipped so i assume its a 'king of the tank' dispute .. and its nothing serious at all (so far) so i'm not too worried

& i do know how big each will get so IMO i'm already fully stocked.. however, i thought i'd ask my fellow fishy friends what they thought was acceptable.. i didnt know how much to add for the aggression rule...??

i'll post my list in the morning.. thanks for the response :)

stock list:

2 fem kenyi
1 fem acei
1 fem electric yellow
1 fem johanni
1 fem bumblebee
1 fem ob peacock
1 fem golden albino peacock
1 fem strawberry peacock
1 male strawberry peacock
1 male venustus
1 male all red hap
1 male flameback

like i said above, the nipping isnt too bad .. i was just wondering how many i could add safely, to help cut down the little aggression that i have

thanks!!

cool thanks!

i feel like my stock list is pretty good as of now.. theres very little chasing / nipping going on (when the lights are on, at least lol) but i had an issue a few weeks ago where my venustus got HANDLED by my borleyi so i did some 'personel changes' lol

my cichlid stones come in this week so hopefully the new 'to each his own' cave style will give them all some more personal-like terrirories :)

thanks again for the advice garfsky ;)

well partially because i jumped into africans a while back & learned about them later. i was going for a colorful tank & didnt bother to research or even ask about my first batch of 6.

eventually, i got into ID'ing species & research.. thats when i decided i wanted my flameback & venustus.. i knew they were from different lakes but heard it was possible so i gave it a shot (both are doing great)

as i went forward, i wanted to have a healthy ratio of females to males. i figured my best bet for colorful females was with mbunas & started to add some more to fill my tank. i didnt want a bunch of the same fish though, so thats why its such a wide variety.

and thats how my stock came about. as they mature, if i have to rehome anyone, i think i would stick w/ mbunas & peacocks. however, i'm hoping this group stays nicey nice. i really love what i have going on right now.

i think i'm rehoming my OB peacock & replacing her w/ a male kenyi.. MAYBE!! a male kenyi.. open to suggestions though :)

I have a feeling a male kenyi would soon overrun your tank.They can be ferocious fish and highly territorial.Your strawberry peacock could suffer the brunt.Just my opinion though it is possible all will be ok.

thanks.. i def dont want an over aggressive fish (ie - auratas, etc) .. i know kenyi can be mean too & my female is def one tough chick but isnt overly aggressive. i only thought male kenyi because i have the 1 legit female & the 1 female kenyi hybrid

i got my male strawberry peacock a female last week so i'm not dead set on getting another male to breed. i'm open to any colorful suggestions :)

Well if you're after color and variety, have you thought about going to an all male tank?

I recently just returned a bunch of fish to the lfs and kept only some choice males:

Electric Yellow Lab (Labridochromis c.)
Electric Blue Hap (Sciaenochromis fryeri)
Zebra Obliquens (Astatotilapia latifiscia)
Flameback (Haplochromis sp.)
Rusty (Iodotropheus sprengerae)
Nimbochromis ?
And some peacock (gf likes OB fish)

i did think of doing that & going all peacocks but i'm pretty attatched to my females seeing as i've had most of them for around 8+ months :)

also, my female to male ratio is pretty good & aggression seems to be in check, FOR NOW.. so i'm gonna keep everyone (except the OB) unless problems arise

Lol. Yeah don't mess with a stable thing when it comes to cichlids! Haha

And yeah. It's hard to break that attachment sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom