60 Gallon Cichlid Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya, I realize the brichardi are from a different lake but I really like them and know it's possible to mix the two lakes successfully if your careful. Hopefully someone else will chime in :)

lake tanganyikan need different water parameters than Malawi for starters. 2. Brichardi should be kept in a species only tank. If they are in a mixed tanganyikan tank, you need at least a 6' long tank. I like the Brichardi myself, very pretty fish.

The yellow labs are of the more peaceful mbuna, but still might cause those peacocks to not color up.

I would not suggest this stocking at all..Also try not to mix lakes, keep Malawi with Malawi..Tangs with Tangs etc...

Brichardi would do pretty terrible with mbuna. They do best in a species-only tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ya, I realize the brichardi are from a different lake but I really like them and know it's possible to mix the two lakes successfully if your careful. Hopefully someone else will chime in :)

Tanganyika and Malawi DO NOT mix well in almost any account

Ok so what would you guys suggest? I definitely want various peacocks, I think they're beautiful. And I also like yellow labs a lot.

Ok so what would I guys suggest? I definitely want various peacocks, I think they're beautiful. And I also like yellow labs a lot.

I don't even like mixing peacocks with mbuna to be honest. It may work if you have a big enough tank, or it may stress out the peacocks and they won't color up.

In regards to your tank, it is looking marvelous! With the rock and plants in you can move the heater down and it will be hidden. Also, as far as the filter intake tube, I believe you can take that center valve piece off, remove the bottom portion of the tube and put the intake pipe cover where the valve piece I suggested to take off is. It shortens the tube without cutting it, and it will still work just fine. That's what I did with my ME 400. If you leave it long like it is you're going to have problems once the fish get in there and start redecorating.

As far as stocking, yellow labs are beautiful. I think you should get a nice mix of different Mbuna. Pick a species group and start with that. See how you like them and rather than mix lake species think about the future and possibly getting a second tank down the road. If you are wanting a beautiful tank with happy fish then you probably shouldn't mix lakes.

Sorry I haven't updated lately. I've just been so busy!

As for your guys advice, I moved the heater down behind a plant so that its vertical. I like it much better! Will try to shorten tube on filter when I do 1st water change, which will be soon cause I'd say my tank is about done cycling. I'll check the levels tonight and let you know!

For fish, I'm more than likely going to mix in peacocks with the mbuna, they can coexist as long as I keep the less dominant species. I won't be throwing in an auratus or Kenyi! Probably labs, maybe some zebras, or socolofi with them.

I like to add a variety of colors. I have a 60 gallon and I have 2 jewel cichlids, 2 jacobfreibergi, 2 electric yellow, 1 bumblebee, and 2 electric blue. It adds a lot of color and movement to the tank. I would honestly try a couple different types to get some different assortment of colors. Also I like to add a little aquarium salt help keep down sickness brighten colors

I think I want to stick to 3-4 species only, I tried mixing a bunch together before and it didn't work out. Great news though, I finally got some fish! All levels are solid :)

I got:
X2 yellow labs
X1 ob peacock
X1 dragons blood peacock(I think)
X1 mixed peacock

I'll add pictures of them all asap! Theyre all doing great so far!

So what do you guys think?? I love this tank! I want to buy 3 more of the tall plants and put them in the back and 1 more of the small circular plants and place it towards the left, then I think it will be about finished. :)

88553-albums14240-picture68197.jpg

It's a beautiful tank. I think your plan for a few more plants is nice. That filter will meet an early end if you don't fix the intake tube depth!

Back
Top Bottom