Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

60 gallon cichlid tank?

If go with the 60 gallon tank with 850 gph filtration, what can I squeeze in it. I like severums and I'd like to get 2 in there. I also like the firemouth and salvini and I'd like to put one of each of those in there too. Could I squeeze another in there, maybe one convict or something like that? Let me know what you think would be the max on south american/central american cichlids in a 60 (48X13X24). I'm not keen on dither fish either, unless they help the cichlids in some way.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bump. Oh yeah, I like Blue Acaras too and they are compatible with severums and firemouths on the americancichlids.com website.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just keep in mind, man. 1 inch of fish per gallon. I am looking into a tank that size myself, they call it a tall 60 gallon, but if you calculate it you will actually come up with 65 gallons (231 cubic inches per gallon).
Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
Quote:
1 inch of fish per gallon.
Am I the only one who finds this rule good for little more than a very general guideline?
29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
I'm betting that "guideline" is different for cichlids, because of the fact that so many are so territorial. I could be wrong though. BTW dax29, what kind of filtration are you getting that does 850gph???
65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
mrcrazypants05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
I've heard that it's better to overcrowd cichlids to prevent aggression, so that they lose each other in the crowd. Or something like that.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafnkel
I've heard that it's better to overcrowd cichlids to prevent aggression, so that they lose each other in the crowd. Or something like that.
Hi,

This is only the case for African/Malawi cichlids. Overcrowding (within reason) does reduce the aggression because of the ability escape into the crowd.

This does not apply with New Worlds though. Nor does the 1 inch per gallon rule.

If you were to pack a 60 gallon full with these then you would have the fish version of World War III break out.

New world cichlids are highly territorial and highly aggressive.

dax29, If you were to put all those on your wishlist into the same tank you would end up with very few fish left (actually, probably only one, the most dominant one). Each of them will fight to the death in an attempt to take control of the tank.

IMO you could fit EITHER a pair of Sevs, OR a pair of Acara, OR a pair of Convicts. Not all of them together. 60 gallons is not a lot of room for aggressive fish that grow to a minumum of 8".

JHMO.

steve
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Steve. I'm thinking now maybe a pair of one of those species too. I really like severums. BTW I have a Penguin 350 and was going to add an AC 110 b/c big cichlids produce so much waste. I already have the 350.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

There is a possibility you can have a mix of two. Firemouths, for instance, are relatively small as are acaras. Either an acara/firemouth mix or a firemouth/severum mix could work. Remember, you can use rocks and other formations to create territories and keep the peace.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep a severum, firemouth, and convict in a 55 gallon with few problems. I think as long as you keep only one of each species (to eliminate the possiblilty of aggression from spawning) that it will work ok, just have a tank divider handy in case things don't go as planned. You could probably keep the severum, blue acara, and firemouth OR convict. I'd leave out the salvini. IMO it would help to add dithers, even though I know you're not too big on them- gives the cichlids something else to think about. :P

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
60 gallon, cichlid, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Oscars | Discus »