60g Tank - Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako927

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,

I had a tragedy last week. For years, I kept my 60g tank going strong and healthy. I had grown quite attached to my fish family, as many of you understand. Then we were hit with the blizzard. I lost power for just over 100 hours, which means I lost heat and my house dropped to 34 degrees. Despite all my heroic efforts, I could not keep my tank warm enough and lost all my fish. :bawl:

I have had a period of mourning, as I kept filtering the empty tank and got it cleaned up. And now I am turning towards the hope of re-stocking it. However, I do not simply want to replace the same fish I had before (angels, pictus cats, gouramis, molies). I want to do something different, and this has me looking at a cichlid tank. Basically, I am looking at three options:

1) Oscar tank (one)
2) African cichlids
3) South American cichlids

I love the idea of keeping an oscar. But my research is telling me no on this. My 60g is just about an inch deeper and 2 inches taller than a long 55g, and I see these are generally too small for an oscar once they are full grown. Even if I did pull it off, the possibility of having some tank mates with the oscar would be ruled out. And I do not want to buy another larger tank. So... I am letting go of the oscar hope, unless you convince me it isn't such a bad plan after all.

That brings me to a general cichlid tank. I know I should not mix Africans with South Americans because of different water conditions. I like some from both groups... convicts, electric blue, jack dempsey, bumblebee... and I cannot decide which road to go down.

Do you recommend one over the other. Or, perhaps the better question: What do you see as the differences or advantages/disadvantages in keeping an African tank or a South American tank?

Any help, advice, or suggestions are certainly appreciated! Thanks! :thanks:

FYI: The tank has an AquaClear 110 power filter on the back, gravel, and is decorated with a few fake plants and a couple pieces of driftwood right now... one large center piece and on that forms a tunnel.

Last edited:
I think your setup would be better suited for sa's or even dwarf sa's...also Sry for your loss...

Also keep Africans&SA's seperate..not a good idea to mix,most likely the sa's will destroy the africans...these fish won't mix with good results period..

Back
Top Bottom