65 gallon how many cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joostrom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 65 gallon tall tank how many cichlids should I have in it? I have an aquaclear 110 filer and two circulation pumps.

I already have Africans in it I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't over stocking it.

Joostrom I think you need at least another Aquaclear 110 mate ? African's need over filtration TIMES 4 to 5 times the tank size mate ? The less volume the harder it is to keep a stable Aquarium,especially with African Cichlids ? Hope this helps ;-)

Dean jones said:
Joostrom I think you need at least another Aquaclear 110 mate ? African's need over filtration TIMES 4 to 5 times the tank size mate ? The less volume the harder it is to keep a stable Aquarium,especially with African Cichlids ? Hope this helps ;-)

4-10 times actually Dean but I like to say 6-10

garfy said:
What I mean is those figures would be for an overstocked tank right?

No not really I always aim for 4-6 on everything if not more. Well I guess I can't say everything starting at a 40 breeder + anything smaller than that I guess would be less imo

I new a Aquaclear 110 is well to small for a 65 gallon ? 4 to 5 isnt that far away from 5 to 6 Andrew Jesus ;-) lol

Don't get me wrong I have 5 times the turn over in my own tanks and the water is always pristine but I do think that if for example you had only 4 yellow labs in a lets say 125 I don't think it would be absolutely necessary for 5 times the tank volume turn over per hour.Im not arguing just thinking out loud really.

garfy said:
Don't get me wrong I have 5 times the turn over in my own tanks and the water is always pristine but I do think that if for example you had only 4 yellow labs in a lets say 125 I don't think it would be absolutely necessary for 5 times the tank volume turn over per hour.Im not arguing just thinking out loud really.

Ya that's true I didn't think about that because who would keep only a few fish in a big tank. It would look empty and drive me nuts. Bit I get you drift.

I keep 5 Saulosi,5 Polits,5 Afra jalo reef,4 yellow labs,4 neon spots,4 Redtops,2 golden plecs,3 Cuckoo catfish in a 90 gallon tank ? I had 2 405's now one ;-( but got a aqua one 1250 on it now,and my water is Crystal Clear ;-)

Dean jones said:
I keep 5 Saulosi,5 Polits,5 Afra jalo reef,4 yellow labs,4 neon spots,4 Redtops,2 golden plecs,3 Cuckoo catfish in a 90 gallon tank ? I had 2 405's now one ;-( but got a aqua one 1250 on it now,and my water is Crystal Clear ;-)

Your pushing it a little imo I only have like 40-46 in my 180 and I feel overstocked. But then again I do have my turtle ;)

As soon as I sort the bloody 405 from blowing out of both intake & outtake tubes it's going right back on the tank ASAP :-( still waiting to hear from Hagen again,not a happy camper lol

Jesus Andrew you have big *** HAPS & peacocks with a bloody turtle ;-( More jam than Hartleys you ;-) lol

Back
Top Bottom