65 gallon mbuna only stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was gonna pick up a 65 gallon for a mbuna only tank and would just like to get everyone's opinion on there favorite mbunas to keep and wut would be a good centerpiece fish for the tank .. thanx in advance

Mrc8858 said:
So I was gonna pick up a 65 gallon for a mbuna only tank and would just like to get everyone's opinion on there favorite mbunas to keep and wut would be a good centerpiece fish for the tank .. thanx in advance

My favorite so far is Acei, but they need a bigger tank than that. I would think that the centerpiece would be your tank boss male.

joel618 said:
My favorite so far is Acei, but they need a bigger tank than that. I would think that the centerpiece would be your tank boss male.

I understand the boss of the tank thing but is like some opinions on large vibrant mbunas that'll go well in a 65 with smaller mbunas

In that size tank you'll need to stick with the Mbuna that get 4-6" that tank doesn't have the swim space for the larger fish. For your centerpiece fish it will be you dominate males. You'll want to stock about 3 types of Mbuna with a 1 male to 4 female ratio, I would shoot for 15-20 fish in total. Just make sure that you filtration is up to par Mbuna like very clean water.

When choosing Mbuna it is important to make sure the females don't look the same and to pick one fish from every species to avoid hybridization.

So pick one fish from the following

Cynotilapia
Iodotropheus
Labeotropheus
Labidochromis
Melanochromis
Petrotilapia
Pseudotropheus

Example:
Iodotropheus sprengerae ''Rusty''
Pseudotropheus saulosi
Labeotropheus fuelleborni

Good mix of colors and patterns.

Mogurako said:
In that size tank you'll need to stick with the Mbuna that get 4-6" that tank doesn't have the swim space for the larger fish. For your centerpiece fish it will be you dominate males. You'll want to stock about 3 types of Mbuna with a 1 male to 4 female ratio, I would shoot for 15-20 fish in total. Just make sure that you filtration is up to par Mbuna like very clean water.

When choosing Mbuna it is important to make sure the females don't look the same and to pick one fish from every species to avoid hybridization.

So pick one fish from the following

Cynotilapia
Iodotropheus
Labeotropheus
Labidochromis
Melanochromis
Petrotilapia
Pseudotropheus

Example:
Iodotropheus sprengerae ''Rusty''
Pseudotropheus saulosi
Labeotropheus fuelleborni

Good mix of colors and patterns.

Ya I kno nothing like a Jaguar or dempsey but wut about a lrg peacock of some type or would I be better off keeping it strictly mbunas

Mrc8858 said:
Ya I kno nothing like a Jaguar or dempsey but wut about a lrg peacock of some type or would I be better off keeping it strictly mbunas

Strictly mbuna imo, magurako knows his stuff.

check out OB zebras!
peacocks will easily hybridize with mbuna, but as long as u dont sell on the fry there is no issue with them together in the tank.
plus hybrids can turn out kinda cool.
what colours do u want in the tank? x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
check out OB zebras!
peacocks will easily hybridize with mbuna, but as long as u dont sell on the fry there is no issue with them together in the tank.
plus hybrids can turn out kinda cool.
what colours do u want in the tank? x

I'm looking to have a lrg amount of blues and yellows with a lil bit of red

I'm thinking bout some auratus for the yellows and psuedotropheus zebras for my blues don't kno about red or maybe dark Orange... maybe a rusty

Is this a 3' 65 or a 4'? I would probably go all male in a tank of that size, especially since some of the females sometimes aren't very colourful.

BillD said:
Is this a 3' 65 or a 4'? I would probably go all male in a tank of that size, especially since some of the females sometimes aren't very colourful.

4 foot and that's y I'd like the auratus imo the females r more vibrant

Wut would u think about 1/4 ratio on auratus and zebra and some female rusties to keep it at 2 males and 10-14 females good idea or no

Little off subject but a lil home I made for my upcoming cichlid tank lol ...Wut do u think

Back
Top Bottom