75 gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sambo7475

Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife has finally approved a third tank! I've decided to go with a 75 gallon Mbuna species cichlid tank. Comments and encouragement/constructive criticisms are welcome. This is my first experience with cichlids, so it's going to be interesting. First, my water source is municipal (I have a water softener), pH ranges from 8.2-8.4, Ammonia 0-0.25 ppm(not quite pure yellow, but not quite yellow-green), nitrites and nitrates 0 from the tap. I talked with the guys at the water treatment plant, and they acknowledged they use chloramine to treat the water, which is why the api kit shows it. How detrimental is the water softener to cichlids?
Next:
The tank itself:
75 gal glass, 2 24" daylight LED's with moon function, 2-AC 110 HOB filters, 300W heater, 75 lbs river gravel, 20 lbs black slate for caves, 15 lbs holey rock, 1 large (6lb) interesting mopani drift wood chunk with lots of holes/hiding spaces too(currently soaking to remove tannins-I'm ok with some left over tannins). Several medium sized (under 3 lbs) rocks I've collected from Lake Michigan and near Yellowstone Nat'l Park-not from inside the park, which is illegal, but rather near big sky, Montana. Planning to take one of the big sponges from an existing 110 on my 55 to jumpstart the cycle.
The stand is a diy constructed of 2x4 and 2x6's with a shelf built into the floor for storage of supplies. I'll try to attach pictures shortly.
Stocking:
Here's where I need the most advice from those who've been down this road.
Like I said, I and my wife definitely want Mbuna species, so:
5x Yellow Lab
5x Maingano
5x Cobalt Blue Zebra
Above are for sure, I want to do 10 more of the following, probably 5 ea of 2 of the following 4 species:
Acei (Pseudotrophus acei)
Demasoni (Pseudotrophus demasoni)
Bumblebees
Auratus

I'm leaning to acei and demasoni, although my wife thinks the demasoni looks too much like the maingano, and would rather do the auratus.

Input is welcome.
The location of this new tank is going to be in my bedroom at the foot of my bed.

Last edited:
pics of the stand build 1

image_zpsibx2qbzy.jpeg
story
iframe>

Attachments

• IMG_3995.JPG
    IMG_3995.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4001.JPG
    IMG_4001.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 112

here's the next batch

Attachments

• IMG_4002.JPG
    IMG_4002.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4003.JPG
    IMG_4003.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4016.JPG
    IMG_4016.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4022.JPG
    IMG_4022.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 121
all finished with the stand

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_4024.JPG
    IMG_4024.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 115
If you didn't put jack studs on the corners before you covered the sides of the stand I would put a solid top on it. Reason being is if the screws are all that's supporting where the tank sits and it sinks a little the vertical studs will crack the bottom. It looks nice!
I would also ditch the drift wood and gravel. Go with sand for mbuna. Last there should be a tap that don't use the softener somewhere by it. Not sure if the softener will be a problem.

Thanks for the info. Yes I jack studded all corners. I just didn't get a picture of that. My softener is connected directly to the incoming line from the street. There is a bypass, but the aquifer here is quiet rusty. Orange stains everywhere.
Any advice on species?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh yeah and why sand for mbuna not gravel? Not being snotty lol, truly curious. Guy at my lfs says sand clouds up the water because the cichlids constantly dig and pick up the gravel.
Is driftwood contraindicated? I like the look of it in several tanks I've seen, but if it's dangerous or harmful, I'll not use it.

Demasoni will not work in those low of numbers. They're highly conspecific aggressive and will likely also have problems with the maingano. Acei are a good choice. I'm not a huge Mbuna guy though, so I can't offer up any other species, other than that you have chosen a lot of common ones

Oh yeah and why sand for mbuna not gravel? Not being snotty lol, truly curious. Guy at my lfs says sand clouds up the water because the cichlids constantly dig and pick up the gravel.
Is driftwood contraindicated? I like the look of it in several tanks I've seen, but if it's dangerous or harmful, I'll not use it.

Wood wont hurt anything just not natural for mbuna. as far as sand goes I use in all my tanks except my large hybrids tank because he likes to spit it into the filter intake. Gravel will work but sand is more natural for them. I use either pool filter sand or red flint aquarium/filter sand.

Pool filter sand

img_3342010_0_512988bb1b162388bb0a6825be6ca601.jpg

Red flint sand

img_3342010_1_55b1ef47ad56f27076bcbb8019aef6dc.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Demasoni are out then. I'll keep you posted.

I use play sand in 3 out of my 4 tanks and rarely have issues

The key is cleaning well before putting it in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have heard that auratus can be real a-holes once they hit maturity. Have u thought about bumblebee cichlids or Socolofi cichlids? I have both and they get along well with my other species.

Another reason some people don't use driftwood is because it can lower ph and most people want high ph with cichlids to mimic the natural environment. You could always buy cichlid salts to make the water harder and raise the ph.

You're the second person to discourage me from auratus, so I'll probably eliminate them too. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Got it up and running. Need to add more rock work, but here it is so far. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457150382.159688.jpg

Update:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463271622.414780.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463271637.520384.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463271652.027339.jpg
This has fast become my favorite tank. Constant action, and spectacularly colored fish. No losses as of yet, and really no territorial aggression to speak of.

....I really wish I could build my own stand. Nice!

As far as your stock, not too sure this mix is going to remain compatible for too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom