75 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't want any dyed fish. I knew about the bp could be dyed but I was unaware of the rasberry severums. First and foremost I have to get this darn thing cycled!

RedNeck said:
I don't want any dyed fish. I knew about the bp could be dyed but I was unaware of the rasberry severums. First and foremost I have to get this darn thing cycled!

It is looking a little odd for the nitrates to completely vanish. Assuming you are using the API Master kit, are you sure you are shaking nitrate bottle 2 for 30 seconds prior to adding? And after adding, shaking for another full minute? As the instructions state, it is very important to mix it correctly. Not doubting what you are doing, just trying to eliminate all the suspects.

Yes, I am doing just as the instructions state....I get nitrates when I test my other tanks. This is what puzzles me!

Ok...I am baffeled:facepalm:This morning I tested and it goes as following...
Ammonia-.50 for the 3rd day in a row
Nitrite-Still out of this world...Bright purple
Nitrate-Between 20 and 40 again....
PH-7.6

So now atleast I have nitrates back but I dont understand why the ammonia will not zero and the nitrates are still sky high. I dont know weather to A) Leave ammonia alone unitl it zeros...I have not added any for 2 days. B) Do a pwc. C) Be more patient, keep dosing the ammonia up to 2-3 and see what happens as this is just going into the 3rd week.
Any help or guidence would be greatly appritiated!

I have found on the couple of tanks that I have done the fish less cycle one, it took me at least 4 weeks for everything to level out. I know it's really frustrating. You buy the tank, set it up, add your water all within a couple of yours, and now you have to wait, twiddle your thumbs, and then wait some more. I hate this part of he whole thing. But have a little more patience, it will happen.

RedNeck said:
So I should does my ammonia back up and be patient?

If The ammonia is not reaching 0 each day, you don' t need to dose higher than you have been. You really only need to increase the dosage if it reaches 0 while still cycling. What were your readings today?

That's what I would do. I know it's hard to be, but there isn't really any other option. My last one I set up, I took me awhile to get everything I wanted for it, the stand took the longest, but once I had it all, it took only a couple of hours to set up. I wanted fish in it right then. So I feel your pain with the waiting, but for a healthy start, unfortunately you have suffer:).

If The ammonia is not reaching 0 each day, you don' t need to dose higher than you have been. You really only need to increase the dosage if it reaches 0 while still cycling. What were your readings today?
These are my readings for today.
Ammonia-.50 for the 3rd day in a row
Nitrite-Still out of this world...Bright purple
Nitrate-Between 20 and 40 again....
PH-7.6

I now have nitrates again...so either I was doing somthing wrong with the test....Which I doubt...this isn't my first time using it, plus the other tanks I test all had nitrates...or there is some voodoo magic going on in this tank:hide: Well I will let it sit at .50 until it zeros then I will does more ammonia.

Have u tried doing a water change during your cylcle? Ive done 2 fishless cycles and that seemed to kick start things sometimes if i felt they were stalling...

Have u tried doing a water change during your cylcle? Ive done 2 fishless cycles and that seemed to kick start things sometimes if i felt they were stalling...
I have not yet...I am going to see what happens in the next few days then try a 50%pwc if its still doing nothing.

What about Rotkeil severum? I love those and they are NOT dyed :) I say stay away from new world hybrids period. Blood parrots have so many genetic deformities, its ridiculous to keep producing them! Severums and geophagus might be cool!

WOOOOOWHOOOOOOOO:dance: My ammonia finally zeroed out! Nitrites are still high but the color is slowly lightening up(y) I redosed and will see what tomm. brings. Now its off the the lfs to swap out lights because two of the moonlights burnt out already. What a good opportunity to check out fish!

I have no idea what is going on any more. I did the pwc and thought hey....now things will move. My nitrites barley dropped and they still havent budged. Did my cycle stall? What do I do?

Now one of my bio wheels is ripped on the 200.......:banghead: That would explain why it stalls while spining. If I get a new wheel can I just rip the wheel off the torn one and place it in the filter....I really dont want anymore setbacks with this cycle.

RedNeck said:
Now one of my bio wheels is ripped on the 200.......:banghead: That would explain why it stalls while spining. If I get a new wheel can I just rip the wheel off the torn one and place it in the filter....I really dont want anymore setbacks with this cycle.

Most bio-wheel setups will spin irregularly from time to time and is fine as long as it does not stop long enough to dry out the part above the water flow. Yes, you can place the material from your damaged wheel behind your filter media to keep the bacteria in the tank. You may even consider pinning it down with the filter cartridge.

As far as the rest of the cycle goes, I usually don't change out any of the water until the cycle is finished. The water changes when cycling I would really only recommend for fish-in cycles, as it can affect the bacteria reproduction. Out of curiosity, have you been running the lights and heater normally? Your cycle seemed to be on the right track, so just keep dosing and checking the parameters and it will get there eventually. What were your readings today? Remember it usually takes 1-2 months without jump-starting with established media, and the initial pace you seemed to be running at may have been a fluke.

I ran lights in he begging but read it was a no no for algae. The heater is in and has the tank at 84. I have been checking the parameters when I get home from work so in another hour I will post them up.

Same Results today: ammonia-1 and nitrates +5....Placed my order for 2 filters from angel plus. Before I plop then in I will be sure to replace the torn bio wheel:nono: Hopefully these active filters help bump this cycle along.

Back
Top Bottom