75 gallon Malawi Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake M.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hope everyone has had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year! Anyways, my question is if this stocking will work or not. In my 75 gallon 4 foot tank(with a sick looking 3d background btw), there is
1 mloto likoma hap
1 electric lab
1 eureka Jake
1 tramitiochromis(sp?) Intermedius
1 mdoka peacock
1 deep water hap
1 red cap lethrinops
1 lemon jake
1 firefish
1 featherfin catfish
And all are males, but I don't know which the featherfin is.
I was planning on adding a couple more haps since these fish are from my old 60 gallon, which I upgraded to the 75. I was originally hoping for a frontosa or a venustus, but they're too big. :( I was thinking a red fin borleyi, a Taiwan reef, an electric blue ahli, or a red empress. Definitely not all of them though, maybe one or two. I was also planning on getting some females for the electric yellow, I read some threads that said a group of yellow labs could work well with male peacocks and haps. Is this a bad idea?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I forgot to add that I have 2 penguin 350 bio wheel HOB filters which together is 700 gph

You definitely do not want to add just 1 fish to an established tank. add AT LEAST 2 and that is still risky.

I was planning to add 1 or 2 haps/peacocks and a group of electric lab females, if thats possible. If not, I would probably get 6 or so peacocks/haps to add to the current stock. I'll be sure to take some pictures tomorrow(its late and I don't want to turn the tank lights on)

You should definitely have plenty of room for 2 more peacocks and haps and maybe about 3 labs? I have 1 yellow lab male in my tank and he's fine.

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's the picture

Attachments

• 1451354942249.jpg
    1451354942249.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 104
Are you adding more rocks?

Especially since Mauna enjoy caves and hiding places.. They like to establish territories. They don't need as much as free swimming space as Peacocks/Haps

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys! And yes I was going to add more rocks for the mbuna. I just wanted to double check, will the male and group of female electric labs be OK with the male peacocks and haps? I want to know if the male peacocks and haps will harass the female mbuna. Thanks!

There's a lot of things you are going to want to conaider:

1. What will your female to male ratio be?
2. There will be a higher % chance of inbreeding to occur.
3. Generally you don't mix mbuna and peacock/haps.. UNLESS you can guarantee the mbunas to be smaller since they are more aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom