75 gallon stocking with Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well then, I'll just sit back and let u 2 tell the OP what will work in his 75g... go ahead. He can do all the research in the world and get all the opinions he could ever ask for and it still is 50/50 that it'll fail because he wants a cichlid community in a 75g. Advise away...

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay guys I dont really know anymore... Any other suggestions? Not really a fan of severums anymore either.

How about a nice goldfish!?!? Why not just get the one oscar?? It will be a great companion..

I can personally say that a uaru does NOT do well in a 75. Mine didn't last too long, they're HIGHLY susceptible to nitrates and are not an easy fish to find. A 6' tank is the minimum for uaru IMO and IME

How about a pair of Thorichthys meeki or Cleithracara maronii and call it stocked?

Meeki might work actually, maronii might get pushed around by the parrot, but those species would be a better choice than an oscar

Personally i wouldn't put an Oscar in anything smaller than a 90 Gallon tank. I do think that aqadvisor is pretty pointless by the way. To be fair its the only thing i've found that does what is does, but that doesn't mean it does it well. Its technically pretty lame.

Personally i wouldn't put an Oscar in anything smaller than a 90 Gallon tank. I do think that aqadvisor is pretty pointless by the way. To be fair its the only thing i've found that does what is does, but that doesn't mean it does it well. Its technically pretty lame.

90g = same footprint as 75g

90g = same footprint as 75g

A greater volume of water means the nitrates will be more diluted, thus lowering the ppm of nitrates. This means easier maintenance

A greater volume of water means the nitrates will be more diluted, thus lowering the ppm of nitrates. This means easier maintenance

With proper filtration and tank maintenance, 15 gallons and 4 inches of height wont make much, if any, difference. Or at least it shouldn't... If someone is housing an Oscar in a 75g and needs to upgrade to a 90g because of nitrate or water parameter issues, then they're probably doing something wrong.

75 g for a single oscar is perfectly fine. If you think they need bigger, you really should do more research. Click my signature for my Oscars tank. He is a single oscar in a 75g tank. 90g is not even needed but will still not hurt.

Ok, but the question is not for a single oscar, it's an oscar and a parrot, so I don't get why we're all stuck on this?

Ok, but the question is not for a single oscar, it's an oscar and a parrot, so I don't get why we're all stuck on this?

I already responded to that question as well.

We're stuck on this because someone made this suggestion 13 days after your last post about the meeki

With proper filtration and tank maintenance, 15 gallons and 4 inches of height wont make much, if any, difference. Or at least it shouldn't... If someone is housing an Oscar in a 75g and needs to upgrade to a 90g because of nitrate or water parameter issues, then they're probably doing something wrong.

My suggestion is nothing to do with nitrites, nitrates or anything else. I personally get virtually none ever, because i overfilter and look after my tanks well. I was talking about dimensions of the tank for a 14 inch fish. Personally i think 75 G dims are a bit small for an Oscar so i wouldn't do it.

Everyone seems so fixated with water quality and territorialism etc, and it is very important but is so easy to put right. You just overfilter, keep a close eye on your water and keep a close eye on fish behaviour and move them if need be. Having a tank which is barely big enough for the fish is just unfair on the fish, and is a fundamental problem from the outset.

75 g for a single oscar is perfectly fine. If you think they need bigger, you really should do more research. Click my signature for my Oscars tank. He is a single oscar in a 75g tank. 90g is not even needed but will still not hurt.

I dont need to do research, i just look at the tank and look at the fish. Its pretty simple really.

All you get with research is an idea because several people will give you several different opinions on any given subject in this hobby.

Learning as you go is as reliable as anything. Not having a go at you by the way, your set up / fish i'm sure are fine, i'm just saying that personally i would go bigger for such a large fish but each to their own. If you had it in a 55 gallon i would definately argue that would be too small, but yours is close to what i would agree is big enough.

Back
Top Bottom