75 gallon stocking with Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes a 55g definitely is too small, just because of the 12" width. The 75g has an extra 6" in width which makes it a perfect home for a single full grown oscar. A 90g has 4" added in height which doesn't really make a difference because fish don't normally swim up and down. They swim left to right and the standard height of a 75g is still perfect because an oscar can easily look up and see his food. I'm not putting down a 90g for sure but I also wouldn't have it as a standard minimum for a single oscar, now if you notice your oscar getting 15, 16, 17" then yes, it's time for a bigger tank but the odds of that are really really slim. I for one am planning on upgrading my 75g to a 125g for just my oscar and a few featherfins. I don't like over stocking and I know what a messy pig an oscar is

My suggestion is nothing to do with nitrites, nitrates or anything else. I personally get virtually none ever, because i overfilter and look after my tanks well. I was talking about dimensions of the tank for a 14 inch fish. Personally i think 75 G dims are a bit small for an Oscar so i wouldn't do it.

Everyone seems so fixated with water quality and territorialism etc, and it is very important but is so easy to put right. You just overfilter, keep a close eye on your water and keep a close eye on fish behaviour and move them if need be. Having a tank which is barely big enough for the fish is just unfair on the fish, and is a fundamental problem from the outset.

The only difference between a 75g and 90g is 4 inches in height... that won't help an Oscar at all, that's the only point I was making about your post.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes a 55g definitely is too small, just because of the 12" width. The 75g has an extra 6" in width which makes it a perfect home for a single full grown oscar. A 90g has 4" added in height which doesn't really make a difference because fish don't normally swim up and down. They swim left to right and the standard height of a 75g is still perfect because an oscar can easily look up and see his food. I'm not putting down a 90g for sure but I also wouldn't have it as a standard minimum for a single oscar, now if you notice your oscar getting 15, 16, 17" then yes, it's time for a bigger tank but the odds of that are really really slim. I for one am planning on upgrading my 75g to a 125g for just my oscar and a few featherfins. I don't like over stocking and I know what a messy pig an oscar is

To be honest, putting an Oscar a a few fetherfins in a 125 would definately leave you room for another couple of smaller cichlids, maybe a JD and similar. Especially if you overfilter. I suppose the only problem you would have would be the fact that your Oscar is already big, so if you put another cichlid or two in with it there could be fireworks! Maybe put a few silver dollars in or something. Depends if you want to bother or not really.

Back
Top Bottom