75 gallon stocking with Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I have a cycled 75 gallon tank with 1 blood parrot. Now I love Albino oscars and was wondering should I get one and that be my whole stock? Or could I do 1 oscar, 1 Blood parrot and 3 pictuse catfish? AqAdvicsor said my stocking would be at like 87 Percent. I have alot of filtration with 1 Canister and 2 Aquaclear 110's. Would that all work?:

I would only do a single oscar alone in a 75, no tank mates. A 75 really isn't that big to be honest, and you'll struggle with nitrates as well as territory issues

Thanks for replying! Okay well what if I dump the oscar? What would be my other options ? I like silver dollars. And severums.

Silver Dollars get too big and are too skittish for a 75g. A severum or convict could work, or you could try a Salvini also, they can be aggressive but as long as your bp is bigger it should be ok.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow, didn't think it was gonna be this difficult to pick out a fish for such a big tank.

A salvini with a blood parrot? That's a recipe for a dead parrot...

In my experience keeping Salvini, they're more territorial than aggressive, guarding a single hideout, but not nearly as relentless as Amphilophus or Parachromis species. And if it kills the BP, that's 1 less BP in the hobby....

Wow, didn't think it was gonna be this difficult to pick out a fish for such a big tank.

75g is pretty small for most of the central/south american cichlids that you're wanting, try an albino oscar.... if it works, great. If not, trade it in for something else. Getting the right mix of cichlids is all trial/error, I tried it for months and ended up with 1 male jaguar cichlid in my 125g. Got sick of going to the LFS and getting new fish then trading them in for different fish... your best bet is a pair or just leaving them as single wet pets, not meant to be kept in community tanks.

Okay what if I did a flowerhorn and the parrot and that be my whole stock? I know flowerhorn get pretty aggressive..

Okay what if I did a flowerhorn and the parrot and that be my whole stock? I know flowerhorn get pretty aggressive..

Might work for a while short term.... of the fish you're interested in, a severum would probably have the best chance of working. Whether u go with an Oscar, Severum, or whatever else, the only way to find out what will work is to try it yourself. Nobody else can tell you because each individual fish can be so different. If you tried an albino oscar, it could possibly work if you had a good water change schedule. Pick 1 up, see what works for you.

Oscars need 75g alone. Don't pick an oscar. I would take ALL advice given here and plug it into Google to see your best answer. FreakGecko is right.

Might work for a while short term.... of the fish you're interested in, a severum would probably have the best chance of working. Whether u go with an Oscar, Severum, or whatever else, the only way to find out what will work is to try it yourself. Nobody else can tell you because each individual fish can be so different. If you tried an albino oscar, it could possibly work if you had a good water change schedule. Pick 1 up, see what works for you.

Bad advice. Research is key to a successful aquarium. I recommend either the parrot OR the oscar. Parrots need 55g and Oscars need 75g. 55g + 75g does not equal your 75g tank at all.

Bad advice. Research is key to a successful aquarium. I recommend either the parrot OR the oscar. Parrots need 55g and Oscars need 75g. 55g + 75g does not equal your 75g tank at all.

Research is only half the battle when dealing with central/south american cichlids.... we're not taking mollies, tetras, and guppies here. BP`s and Oscars are low on the totem pole of cichlid aggression, could be much worse.

Research is only half the battle when dealing with central/south american cichlids.... we're not taking mollies, tetras, and guppies here. BP`s and Oscars are low on the totem pole of cichlid aggression, could be much worse.

Your telling someone to overstock a tank.

^^^ enough said from me.

Seriously, some poor advice. We definitely aren't talking about livebearers, which mean MORE research is needed. And while I will agree to an extent that eveyr individual is different and may vary from the norm, they generally are gonna be similar to that norm.

And oscars are not low on the totem pole with cichlids. There are dozens upon dozens of very peaceful species. And aggression is not even the issue with the oscar, water quality is. Seeing as oscars are highly susceptible to HLLE due to poor water quality, I think that is going to be a larger issue.

And I will stand by it. To throw any fish capable of the level of aggression such as a salvini, in with a hybrid that is incapable of defending itself is just plain asinine. Salvini CAN hold their own with amphilophus, and certain parachromis species.

And why would an "albino" oscar be any different from a regular oscar? It is a color morph, and not amelanistic (albino) like many refer to them as. They are actually considered lutino oscars.

Please don't advise ignorance. Research IS and ALWAYS will be key.

Your telling someone to overstock a tank.

^^^ enough said from me.

If you really wanna go by the book then everyone on here is technically "overstocked." Is my 125g overstocked with a single 10" male jag? Or how bout my small 55g with 10 .75"-1.25" jag growouts? Ease up, you aquarium nazi`s take all the fun out of the hobby for some of these people. Would a 75g with those 2 fish be overstocked? Yup, but it's not that ridiculous and could easily work with a very good water change schedule.

I'm pretty sure having your tank crash is gonna take WAYYYY fun out of the hobby than having someone people say not to do it.

AdVisor said It was possible with it being at like 88 percent stocked. It said I have enough filtration also. But I wanna go by What you guys say. If you guys say dont get the oscar, I wont get the oscar.

Seriously, some poor advice. We definitely aren't talking about livebearers, which mean MORE research is needed. And while I will agree to an extent that eveyr individual is different and may vary from the norm, they generally are gonna be similar to that norm.

And oscars are not low on the totem pole with cichlids. There are dozens upon dozens of very peaceful species. And aggression is not even the issue with the oscar, water quality is. Seeing as oscars are highly susceptible to HLLE due to poor water quality, I think that is going to be a larger issue.

And I will stand by it. To throw any fish capable of the level of aggression such as a salvini, in with a hybrid that is incapable of defending itself is just plain asinine. Salvini CAN hold their own with amphilophus, and certain parachromis species.

And why would an "albino" oscar be any different from a regular oscar? It is a color morph, and not amelanistic (albino) like many refer to them as. They are actually considered lutino oscars.

Please don't advise ignorance. Research IS and ALWAYS will be key.

Just to be clear, I'm not advising on what I would do... We all might as well be telling the OP to return his BP then, and would I expect him to do that? No. I clearly stated that with a good water change schedule, he could do much worse than a BP/Oscar in a 75g. I've seen much worse when "researching" online

If you really wanna go by the book then everyone on here is technically "overstocked." Is my 125g overstocked with a single 10" male jag? Or how bout my small 55g with 10 .75"-1.25" jag growouts? Ease up, you aquarium nazi`s take all the fun out of the hobby for some of these people. Would a 75g with those 2 fish be overstocked? Yup, but it's not that ridiculous and could easily work with a very good water change schedule.

Do it right or do it twice. There is no "book" per say. I'll play aquarium nazi all day long if it means one person will not follow Ill advice of another. I have a single Oscar (Definitely NOT overstocked) in a 75g and it's very hard to keep tip top water quality. I'm giving honest advice that is right, down to the T. FreakGecko is right as well. We're not here to cause problems, just give honest RIGHT aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom