75 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charliegonz92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon fresh water tank. In it are:

1 jaguar cichlid (2 in)
1 jewel cichlid (2 in)
1 green terror (1.5 in)
1 firemouth (1.5 in)
1 jack dempsey (1 in)
1 black convict (1.5 in)
1 Senegal bichir (5 in)
1 Raphael catfish (3 in)

As the fish get bigger I plan on getting rid of some if I have to. Is the tank too overcrowded as it is?

1 jaguar cichlid (2 in)
1 jewel cichlid (2 in)
1 green terror (1.5 in)
1 firemouth (1.5 in)
1 jack dempsey (1 in)
1 black convict (1.5 in)
1 Senegal bichir (5 in)
1 Raphael catfish (3 in)

As the fish get bigger I plan on getting rid of some if I have to. Is the tank too overcrowded as it is?

Way too much for that tank long term. Not a good direction you are going!

cbourg746 said:
Way too much for that tank long term. Not a good direction you are going!

That's putting it mildly. Long term this tank would be easily triple stocked. A 75g can't support the bioload or aggression. I suspect there will be some deaths when the jaguar starts getting aggressive.

You really need to rethink the stock and make some decisions on what to keep. All great fish, but not at the same time with your setup.

1 jaguar cichlid (2 in)
1 jewel cichlid (2 in)
1 green terror (1.5 in)
1 firemouth (1.5 in)
1 jack dempsey (1 in)
1 black convict (1.5 in)
1 Senegal bichir (5 in)
1 Raphael catfish (3 in)

Way overcrowded. The Jaguar and Bichir will get way too big for that tank size anyway, so if you are not planning on upgrading to a 125 gallon or more then they will need to go.

The others are all OK in a 75gallon but there are too many in there. You could do 2 or 3 max of what's left. So it's whatever your choice really.

Aski247 said:
Not gonna beat a dead horse, keep the jag and bichirs. By far the best out of the current stock.

Agreed about the jaguar, I don't like those snakey birchirs.

The rest of the stock is basically the Cichlid selection at every single LFS.

Seriously, pick your favorite and stock around it. But only to the capacity of what you have now. Be patient. If your serious with this hobby it will go a long way and you will eventually keep all the fish you want. With do time and adequate resources.

To the op, you should research before ever buy a any animal. Buying a fish and planing on getting rid of it when it's to big is very irresponsible pet keeping. Like said above pick a few fish you like then research their needs.

A reminder of our rules.

"Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, name calling, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable."

"We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness."

Back
Top Bottom