75g peaceful new world cichlids set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
About to start setting up a 75g tank. Was looking for a wet pet and have decided go with a new world cichlid set up. My one option is a single oscar.
Other option is a tank centered around a green severum. Maybe pair him with another peaceful cichlid. Don't want another severum cause I don't want want babies. Any suggestions. Do I need dither fish. What about a bottom feeder? Do Severus interact like oscars with people? This is the biggest tank I can get so don't suggest anything that will out grow a 75g.

Ty

There are so many options for that tank. I think everyone should at some time keep an oscar. They're a lot fun, I mean for as much fun that a fish can provide, Lol.

Do the Oscar. Grow it out, make it crazy.. I regret never doing one myself.

Going to be my only tank. Used to suffer from mts and got overwhelmed.
I read you can't plant the tank at all? So basically the tank will just be some pieces of driftwood. Just scared the tank will be boring looking. How active are oscars.

They are somewhat active but when you feed them it is awesome! They also will recognize you so defiantly go with the Oscar. If you don't want an Oscar you could do a Flowerhorn Cichlid.

So spent some time at the Lfs store just watching the oscars and the green severums. Think I am gonna go with a severum. Like how the adults look better. Then maybe make it a community tank with the severum as the centerpiece. Maybe just a school of corys. Any suggestions for another school. Think tetras will be too small. Would tiger barbs be too aggressive for the severum? Love how they look

So spent some time at the Lfs store just watching the oscars and the green severums. Think I am gonna go with a severum. Like how the adults look better. Then maybe make it a community tank with the severum as the centerpiece. Maybe just a school of corys. Any suggestions for another school. Think tetras will be too small. Would tiger barbs be too aggressive for the severum? Love how they look

I'm always suspicious mixing tigers with anything: it can work, but they can also become a murder gang. If I ever keep them again, it will be in a species tank.

Since you're getting a severum, why not a school of the larger tetras, such as Emperors or Bleeding Hearts? I think they're a bit large for a severum to see as a snack.

Back
Top Bottom