75g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I apologize, I thought I addressed that. I definitely prefer multiple fish, basically as many as can happily live together.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh I see it now. I must have skipped over it. If it were my tank I'd do just one or two cichlids: green, super red, or rotkeil severums. Then I'd just stick dither fish in, either giant danios, Denison barbs, some species of rainbowfish, and a bottom feeder of some sort.

Or, another fish to look at is an acarichthys heckelii. Beautiful fish, I absolutely love mine. So far my severum is much more aggressive than my heckelii.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is is possible to do something like:
1 kribensis
1 apisto
1 GBR
1 Angelfish
1 discus
1 blue acara OR Jack Dempsey OR jewel

1 kribensis
1 apisto
1 GBR
1 Angelfish
1 discus

You should do your own research as well, in depth research.

I don't know much about the dwarf cichlids like kribs, apistos, rams...but I'm pretty sure they prefer to have a partner with them. Someone else can verify that.

Discus definitely prefer a group of five or more and prefer warmer water temperatures. Angels usually don't mix well with many other cichlids. Jack dempseys get pretty aggressive when larger so it'll be a 50/50 shot on if it would allow any tank mates.

It seems like you have a list that you're geared towards though, now it's just up to you doing your own research. There are a million sources on each of the fish you mentioned.

You should do your own research as well, in depth research.

I don't know much about the dwarf cichlids like kribs, apistos, rams...but I'm pretty sure they prefer to have a partner with them. Someone else can verify that.

Discus definitely prefer a group of five or more and prefer warmer water temperatures. Angels usually don't mix well with many other cichlids. Jack dempseys get pretty aggressive when larger so it'll be a 50/50 shot on if it would allow any tank mates.

It seems like you have a list that you're geared towards though, now it's just up to you doing your own research. There are a million sources on each of the fish you mentioned.

The dwarf cichlds that I mentioned do not need to be in pairs.
I realize Jack Dempsey are aggressive, I just wasn't sure how aggressive. That is why I listed the "or" options. I was also told that discus do not NEED to be in groups they just prefer it because they are shy. If that is the case then I can take it off the list.
I know angels can be kept with the dwarfs, I just wasn't sure about the others.
I have done some research but if I knew it all I wouldn't be here asking for advice :)

1 kribensis
1 apisto
1 GBR
1 Angelfish
1 discus

Jack Dempsey should be species only or with large cichlids/fish like oscars that can match aggression. This is my girl:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429701447.732462.jpg
Full of personality but attacks anything that enters her tank.

Discus are sensitive. I would not keep this if new to the hobby or with most other cichlids. Exceptions could be: rams and *maybe* apistos with them. They are prone to disease and can stress easily. Not a beginner fish to say the least.

Rams are small can work in a variety of different tanks. On the aggression scale they are near the bottom. A single one is fine but a pair really brings out their color and personality.
My wild blue ram ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429701848.076913.jpg

Angelfish are great. Don't keep them with fin nippers as they have very long fins (especially marbled Angels). I would only keep one. Once mature they can show some aggression but again on the lower end of the aggression scale.
My marbled angelImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429701812.623850.jpg

I have read Kribensis are generally peaceful I can't testify to that though. Same with the acara. No experience first hand with them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Jack Dempsey should be species only or with large cichlids/fish like oscars that can match aggression. This is my girl:
View attachment 270643
Full of personality but attacks anything that enters her tank.

Discus are sensitive. I would not keep this if new to the hobby or with most other cichlids. Exceptions could be: rams and *maybe* apistos with them. They are prone to disease and can stress easily. Not a beginner fish to say the least.

Rams are small can work in a variety of different tanks. On the aggression scale they are near the bottom. A single one is fine but a pair really brings out their color and personality.
My wild blue ram View attachment 270645

Angelfish are great. Don't keep them with fin nippers as they have very long fins (especially marbled Angels). I would only keep one. Once mature they can show some aggression but again on the lower end of the aggression scale.
My marbled angelView attachment 270644

I have read Kribensis are generally peaceful I can't testify to that though. Same with the acara. No experience first hand with them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thank you for all of the information. So I'll toss the JD and discus (I didn't realize they were super sensitive). Do you know anything about Threadfin Geophagus? Thinking 1 Angelfish, 1 apisto, 1 krib, 1 GBR, 1 blue acara OR Threadfin Geophagus and possibly a small school of dither fish if they will fit.

I don't know a whole a lot about more specific cichlids. I knew the general ones like JD, rams, Oscars, etc. more specific you need to talk to Mike, Freak, TMRC, or HUKIT. They know much more about specific species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well thanks for the nod Caleb.

OP: I know gbr can be kept with angels, and can be kept with apistos. I'm unsure on the apisto to angel compatibility but don't really foresee an issue. I would still narrow it slightly. The acaras can get over 6 inches and seem to be hit or miss, some are more aggressive.
Kribs can hit 6" too.

Ok, so I'm gonna take a hard turn away from your list and propose my own stock list based loosely on what you've said you wanted:

2 angelfish (pterophyllum scalare; I personally like the blue variants, or the wild-type)
2 cleithracara maronii (keyhole cichlids; extremely peaceful)
3 apistogramma cacatuoides (1 male, 2 female; often called a Cockatoo cichlid)
15 panda tetra (Aphyocharax paraguayensis; many other tetra species will work)
1-2 bristlenose plecos (starry night are a less common variant, or blue seam)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for all of the information. So I'll toss the JD and discus (I didn't realize they were super sensitive). Do you know anything about Threadfin Geophagus? Thinking 1 Angelfish, 1 apisto, 1 krib, 1 GBR, 1 blue acara OR Threadfin Geophagus and possibly a small school of dither fish if they will fit.

I wouldn't keep the threadfin in that tank. They are pretty hit or miss on aggressiveness, I've been lucky and mine is very easy going. But, in a tank your size with nothing but cichlids I could see either the aggression coming out or the threadfin's streamers being chewed off.

Ok, so I'm gonna take a hard turn away from your list and propose my own stock list based loosely on what you've said you wanted:

2 angelfish (pterophyllum scalare; I personally like the blue variants, or the wild-type)
2 cleithracara maronii (keyhole cichlids; extremely peaceful)
3 apistogramma cacatuoides (1 male, 2 female; often called a Cockatoo cichlid)
15 panda tetra (Aphyocharax paraguayensis; many other tetra species will work)
1-2 bristlenose plecos (starry night are a less common variant, or blue seam)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a cool stocking. But I don't want any breeding going on.

Well, thanks everyone for the help and suggestions but obviously what I want cannot be done so I'll just toss the idea completely. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom