75gal african cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
If you frequent the IRC chat, I'm sure you've heard me going on about getting a 75gal tank for christmas which i plan to stock with Malawi cichlids. What I ask from you all are suggestions for what fish...and in what numbers you would have in this tank. FYI, my favorite malawi's are demasoni and electric yellow labs.

YAY JASE! you are finally posting. :D

I take it that you are looking for Mbuna's. Possible fish: Labs, Aceis, Cobalts, Johanni, Electric Blues, well the list goes on and on. :D I would choose 3 females per 1 male. I haven't witnessed aggression due to uneven numbers, but if they breed, they will breed more readily.

Out of the list you gave me, my favorites are the labs, Acei, and cobalt. I like the smaller (5 or so inches) and more brightly colored ones. Would the demansoni fit in with this list? On a side note, what do you feed your cichlids? I was thinking of buying them some NLS cichlid mix...sounds good to me.

New Life Spectrum is the best food for Africans IMO. Varied with flake, peas, and zuc. I don't have any personal experience with the Demansonis. Maybe someone can chime in who has.

Jase!.. yea.. I remember.. :p
have you checked out cichlid-forums.com's cookie cutter suggestions?
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_75g.php
I reaserched and considered a lake malawi cichlid tank for my 75..
I did some more reaserch and found out I could do something a little more for less then I though. :p
btw.. NLS is suppose to be the best staple food for any fish from what Ive read.. :p

Are you talking about your reef tank Bill? thanks for that link, that helps a lot...soo many options. I wonder how many of those fish i could actually find at the LFS.

Definately go to the lfs and see what is available to you. Try not to purchase "Asst Africans". They tend to be mixed.

well, I know the walmart had some pretty "assorted" cichlids. But I wouldn't buy something like that from walmart, I'll have to check out the little LFS near me sometime.

Good for you Jase doing your research! I'm excited for you getting the tank finally. I can't offer suggestions on mbuna though, I went with the peacock cichlids.

You can do alot with a 75gal with mbuna.

If you like acei's a would do about 7 in that size tank. They love to school and will swim around all of the tank. If you really want demosani's get a lot. The need to be in big numbers since they will pick on each other constantly, like 12-15 in a 75 gallon. Then a 3rd species could be 4-5 labs or 4-5 cobalts like you mentioned you liked.

7 acei's
12-15 demonsani
4-5 labs or cobalts

As for a male to female ratio...acei's it really doesn't matter. demonsani it does, 2 or 3 males and the rest females. labs or cobalts 1 male rest females.

just my opinion...do some research on cichlid-forum.com, lots of great info there

Brian

I would not put that many fish in a 75 gal tank. I'd do 15 tops. And then make sure there are plenty of caves and hiding places.

as long as you got good filtration and maintain it, 20-25 fish in a 75 is no problem especially with demonsani...they are dwarf cichlids only grow to about 2-2.5".

I have 16 in a 55 gal and have no problems what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom