80 gallon cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
K so I am converting my community tank to a cichlid tank I have had them before but it's how I started the hobby so knowledge was limited now I am looking to get some good info from AA's finest cichlid keepers I was wondering
1- what are the smaller breeds African or SA/CA?

2- how many of each type can I keep in an 80 gallon (I know I have to watch my nitrates but just roughly)

3- in your opinion what type are more colorful African or SA/CA?

ryan-peddle said:
K so I am converting my community tank to a cichlid tank I have had them before but it's how I started the hobby so knowledge was limited now I am looking to get some good info from AA's finest cichlid keepers I was wondering
1- what are the smaller breeds African or SA/CA?

2- how many of each type can I keep in an 80 gallon (I know I have to watch my nitrates but just roughly)

3- in your opinion what type are more colorful African or SA/CA?

1) it really just depends on which you pick. Some mbuna like demasonis only get about 4 inches, but they come with other restrictions.
2) one could keep between 20-30 african Cichlids in a tank your size.
3) in my opinion Africans, specifically mbuna, are more colorful.

If you have anymore questions just ask away. If you haven't kept Africans before there are defiantly some things you need to know.

Shoot give me the crash course I had 1 33 gallon tank with 2 ob's 1 yellow lab and 2 jd's but like I said it was my very first tank and my knowledge was limited

What info do I need on Africans?

ryan-peddle said:
Shoot give me the crash course I had 1 33 gallon tank with 2 ob's 1 yellow lab and 2 jd's but like I said it was my very first tank and my knowledge was limited

What info do I need on Africans?

They have a high PH and are aggresive but very colorful. :)I have a African tank in the making too (need more fish). Good luck though!!

Dont mix mbuna with peacocks. You want to slightly overstock to reduce aggression. They are messy fish, filtration is important. They enjoy digging in sand. Don't mix more than one type ex: yellow labs and hongi labs. Don't mix super aggressive mbuna with laid back mbuna.
Prolly the most important, feed a high quality food with as little protein as possible. I feed new life spectrum. Read up on Malawi bloat.

Im just throwing out random thoughts, Im sick with s very bad sinus infection and im kinda loopy from the mess.

joel618 said:
Dont mix mbuna with peacocks. You want to slightly overstock to reduce aggression. They are messy fish, filtration is important. They enjoy digging in sand. Don't mix more than one type ex: yellow labs and hongi labs. Don't mix super aggressive mbuna with laid back mbuna.
Prolly the most important, feed a high quality food with as little protein as possible. I feed new life spectrum. Read up on Malawi bloat.

Im just throwing out random thoughts, Im sick with s very bad sinus infection and im kinda loopy from the mess.

Kool I have sand in the tank now and 2fluval 405's and I only feed NLS or omega 1 good info on the rest thanks

Any reason why only 2 of each? In my 90 I have 5 yellow labs and 4 acei along with a bunch if other fish. IMO they are better in groups of at least 4, ideally with 1 male and 3 females

CraigMac said:
Any reason why only 2 of each? In my 90 I have 5 yellow labs and 4 acei along with a bunch if other fish. IMO they are better in groups of at least 4, ideally with 1 male and 3 females

Yeah I want a wide variety of Africans and I don't really want more then 20 so if my math is right I can get 10 breeds in groups of 2

Groups of two most likely will not work out with most mbuna. Generally a single male to 3 females ratio is recommended. Mbuna do not pair up like SA cichlids, instead they are group breeders; a single male can fertilize the eggs of multiple females. If you keep only pairs the males will most likely kill the females due to too much attention. personally, so long as you don't get too many I see no issue with keeping more than two types. My favorite tank had four different species, all different in appearance, but about the same size temperament.

because those tanks probably weren't kept correctly. groups of four at the smallest will be best, you can keep a lot of different types but i dont know about 8 or 10, 2 of each species will not work long term (personal experience)

a.tetreault said:
because those tanks probably weren't kept correctly. groups of four at the smallest will be best, you can keep a lot of different types but i dont know about 8 or 10, 2 of each species will not work long term (personal experience)

Sad but true. Not with mbuna anyhow.

And can you guys give me some options on how you would stock an 80 for lots of colors

How does this sound for compatibility and what do you think for numbers?

Cherry red haps
Ice blues
Red empress
Yellow labs
Placidochromis Electra

groups of ice blues and yellow labs would be ok together. idk anything about the placidochromis or cherry reds. you might be able to have 1 jewel but not more than that. many would recommend you not add the jewel. i have never owned one though.

Back
Top Bottom