Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK understand. Added Prime last night after coming from PetSmart. No ammonia! Checked again this morning...no ammonia. Here is my question/concern, is the Prime masking the issue or is the bottom line to get rid of ammonia threat? In other words, I am sure if I didn't use something that dissolves ammonia I would still have it. Are the fish okay? Should I still do pwc everyday or just when the ammonia returns? Sorry for the questions but I am confused since its been so long. I grew my fish from babies but understand the tank became overstocked by keeping some of the babies.

I started a hospital tank for the fish with visible issues. I have three in there now and had to use a 20 gal up from a 10 gal since they are fairly large cichlids. I've healed two fish so far and hoping to heal this next batch as well.

My gut tells me I should unload a few more fish to the petshop to ease the load in the tank. Things have changed so should I. I no longer have a healthy tank. Its never easy

I tried to save my fish by putting them in another tank but that tank now is stressed. I am consiidering buying an upgrade tank. I have a 55 gal. Not sure if I should go to 75 gal or another 90 %!)? I would then have two 90 gal with the same occupants. Yes I have two 10 inch tilapias. A friend is telling me to get rid of one but I feel they are safer with me than at the petshop in a 15 gal for six months. One I grew from a baby and the other was a reject from killing his tank mates in a 55 gal. Currently he resides in the 90 gal with the africans and seems to be okay. I don't know what to do.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Last water change last night. Added Prime no ammonia as of this morning.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK understand. Added Prime last night after coming from PetSmart. No ammonia! Checked again this morning...no ammonia. Here is my question/concern, is the Prime masking the issue or is the bottom line to get rid of ammonia threat? In other words, I am sure if I didn't use something that dissolves ammonia I would still have it. Are the fish okay? Should I still do pwc everyday or just when the ammonia returns? Sorry for the questions but I am confused since its been so long. I grew my fish from babies but understand the tank became overstocked by keeping some of the babies.

I started a hospital tank for the fish with visible issues. I have three in there now and had to use a 20 gal up from a 10 gal since they are fairly large cichlids. I've healed two fish so far and hoping to heal this next batch as well.

My gut tells me I should unload a few more fish to the petshop to ease the load in the tank. Things have changed so should I. I no longer have a healthy tank. Its never easy

I tried to save my fish by putting them in another tank but that tank now is stressed. I am consiidering buying an upgrade tank. I have a 55 gal. Not sure if I should go to 75 gal or another 90 %!)? I would then have two 90 gal with the same occupants. Yes I have two 10 inch tilapias. A friend is telling me to get rid of one but I feel they are safer with me than at the petshop in a 15 gal for six months. One I grew from a baby and the other was a reject from killing his tank mates in a 55 gal. Currently he resides in the 90 gal with the africans and seems to be okay. I don't know what to do.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Last water change last night. Added Prime no ammonia as of this morning.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Prime is awesome...Good luck you sound to be getting a hold on things. Can you add any Seachem Matrix? Its a really good product. It holds lots of good bio filtration in a small area. Some crushed live rock is very good as well
Old 11-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the tip Jmedic25.

Ammonia was 1.0 again when I got in this evening. Changed 50% and added Prime. No ammonia now but continue to monitor. This feels like an eternity. I have ammonia pads in the filters too. What's the deal!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aeration, prime, and lots of room for good bacteria to grow. You can supercharge your filtration with matrix or liverock. Substrate is where ammo can hide. Im changing my gravel out tommorow for sand. Thin layer, I have no expierence with ammo pads. You can also add more prime than the standard dose. No more than 5x the standard dose. It sounds like you need more ammonia eater bacteria. The only way is to get more bio filtration. Your making progress, keep it up
Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh and one more thing that im sure you learned the hard way. Wash your sponges in a rotation not all at once...LOL ive done the same thing dont feel bad. Also you should really look into a large sump style filter. Fluvals are great filters. Sumps just give you a very large area of bio filtration. Overstocking is ok if you have the filtration to handle it. I like bioballs but I think liverock of matrix is better. Being overstocked sand is a must. Its near impossible to get all the detritus out of the gravel. It just sits on top of the sand. Thats why im switching
Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome. I am feeling a little better like I won't lose all my fish. I will keep working at it. I also just put bioballs in the filter. I will research the sump. Its not easy having to donate fish in order to let them live. I raised them all from small babies so its depressing. As a fish keeper we know no two fish are the same. The personalities are amazing. Miss the buggers I had to donate gosh sure hope I don't have to wait 6-8 weeks. My nerves are shot already! I am testing the water every 2-3 hours. No ammonia tonight so I'm off to bed until testing starts again tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Checked ammonia this morning and all is well. Tonight I will look for additional bio filtration and do a 50% water change. Prime is really helping! Of course I've had to add more than the standard dosage but happy to know it's not hurting the fish by adding more.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

good deal!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ammonia is spiking again so I removed all the rocks yesterday and found most of the babies dead. I've been doing twice daily 50-60% water changes. A few weeks back prior to cleaning the filter my catfish died. Then I noticed one fish was lying on its back so I started a 10 gal hospital tank. He is back to normal and is in a 55 gal but this tank is severally overloaded with fish. I am also changing the water in this tank twice daily. I've since found a few fish with scabs or white foam on them so I've been adding them in the hospital with Melaflex. I've since had to increase the hospital to a 20 gal since there are at least 10 fish in there. Ammonia level is high so I've been changing the water as needed.

The 90 gal is in bad shape. Seems like there is a virus or some parasites in there killing the fish. I vaccumed the gravel and removed everything, changed the water and added salt and Melaflex. I'm not sure what I can safely do anymore. By the time I notice the white stuff (not ick) it spreads quickly and the fish dies. I am going to take as many fish to the pet shop as I can to save them then continue to treat the tank. I'll have the Tilapia left with 4 fish. I don't have anyplace else to keep them.

I purchased a 75 gal tank and will set up tomorrow to put the bunch from the 55 gal since they do need more water to control the ammonia.

How can I get rid of the virus or parasites in the 90 gal?

Tags
ammonia, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com