90 gal tank ammonia problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely joejeff...my Fluval FX5 is a monster. It handles 400 gallons! My mistake is not cleaning it AFTER it had to take on extra waste and toxins. Hopefully I am on my way to a healthy tank again...only time will tell.

limojica said:
Absolutely joejeff...my Fluval FX5 is a monster. It handles 400 gallons! My mistake is not cleaning it AFTER it had to take on extra waste and toxins. Hopefully I am on my way to a healthy tank again...only time will tell.

They always straighten. I took a nasty nasty nasty turtle tank Amd converted it into an aquarium... Using the same gravel. Took some cleaning and filter cycling but it happened. What's the flow rate on that filter?

Awesome joejeff.

I'm learning the filter makes a difference in tank health. If it's dirty, the tank will be dirty and you'll continue to have issues. I would change the water and continue to have ammonia. It didn't make sense but now it all makes perfect sense.

Flow rate is 607 US gallons empty and 400 US gallons with media. This thing is a beast and to think I was questioning if it was working!

"Its massive capacity and powerful integrated
motor processes and recirculates fully 607 US
gallons (2300 liters) of water every hour,
enabling you to precisely manage water
conditions for aquariums as large as 400 US
gallons (1500 liters). It will hold up to 1.5 gallons
(5.9 liters) of media, yet it’s compact enough to
fit under almost any aquarium cabinet." Hagan website

limojica said:
Awesome joejeff.

I'm learning the filter makes a difference in tank health. If it's dirty, the tank will be dirty and you'll continue to have issues. I would change the water and continue to have ammonia. It didn't make sense but now it all makes perfect sense.

Flow rate is 607 US gallons empty and 400 US gallons with media. This thing is a beast and to think I was questioning if it was working!

"Its massive capacity and powerful integrated
motor processes and recirculates fully 607 US
gallons (2300 liters) of water every hour,
enabling you to precisely manage water
conditions for aquariums as large as 400 US
gallons (1500 liters). It will hold up to 1.5 gallons
(5.9 liters) of media, yet it’s compact enough to
fit under almost any aquarium cabinet." Hagan website

Man. 400 gallon flow rate is good, but not enough in my opinion. What type of fish you using it for? That's about 4 cycles an hour, which in my opinion is the min. If you have had issues I would consider adding a hang on back maybe. I recommend the good old penguin bio wheel. Super high flow rates on those puppies, especially for the price. Or if you got the cash a canister. But the hang on would be good to go along with what you have now.

I also have an AquaClear 110 on there. This filter is recommended for up to 100 gals. 90 gal tank with 30 large african cichlids from Lake Malawi 20 small ones. I medium Parrot and one 10 inch Tilapia Butterkoferi. The babies kept coming as fast as I would remove them. Maybe 100 this go around. Trouble started from that day I removed them and didn't reclean the filter.

Will look for the biowheel as you suggest. Thanks!

limojica said:
I also have an AquaClear 110 on there. This filter is recommended for up to 100 gals. 90 gal tank with 30 large african cichlids from Lake Malawi 20 small ones. I medium Parrot and one 10 inch Tilapia Butterkoferi. The babies kept coming as fast as I would remove them. Maybe 100 this go around. Trouble started from that day I removed them and didn't reclean the filter.

Will look for the biowheel as you suggest. Thanks!

Pic? That seems heavy on fish to me. Wouldn't mind seeing them though.

I have trouble posting pics here. I will have to try when I get in and can get on my computer.

The photo worked fine. Beautiful fish but, there are a lot of them with a couple that are pretty big.
How many fish do you have altogether? And how many tank and what size? You may be able to just rearrange which ones are in each tank for a better balance.
I can understand not wanting to get rid of any, I feel the same way about mine.
They have so much personality and I swear they know who I'm talking to when I say their names. And yes, we have named each and every one except the babies. We don't plan on keeping them and I feel that their new families should name them.
But sometimes we have to love them enough to say good bye. You may need to thin out your fish a little more.

I don't want to sound all negative though. The fish you do have, even in the fuzzy parts of the photo, you can tell they have great color and are quite beautiful. Plus a BIG CONGRATULATIONS on getting your problem cleared up in a relatively short time. I know it took a lot of hard work and commitment to your fish.

WendiDell said:
The photo worked fine. Beautiful fish but, there are a lot of them with a couple that are pretty big.
How many fish do you have altogether? And how many tank and what size? You may be able to just rearrange which ones are in each tank for a better balance.
I can understand not wanting to get rid of any, I feel the same way about mine.
They have so much personality and I swear they know who I'm talking to when I say their names. And yes, we have named each and every one except the babies. We don't plan on keeping them and I feel that their new families should name them.
But sometimes we have to love them enough to say good bye. You may need to thin out your fish a little more.

I don't want to sound all negative though. The fish you do have, even in the fuzzy parts of the photo, you can tell they have great color and are quite beautiful. Plus a BIG CONGRATULATIONS on getting your problem cleared up in a relatively short time. I know it took a lot of hard work and commitment to your fish.

Must just be my phone. Have to look on computer.

I am sure. I am just too used to this Dang phone lol
I'm barely computer literate. I wouldn't know what to do with a Smart Phone or Apps. I'm lucky I can figure out my standard Stupid Phone, that does nothing fancy.
I'm much better with living things than I am with technology.

WendiDell said:
I'm barely computer literate. I wouldn't know what to do with a Smart Phone or Apps. I'm lucky I can figure out my standard Stupid Phone, that does nothing fancy.
I'm much better with living things than I am with technology.

Rt on. I shouldn't spend too much time on this forum. It's costing me cash. The ideas on here have spent my Nxt yrs wages lol. Having it on my phone is making it worse lol. I saw a guy w a 340 gallon on cl. He said it had 10000 in it. He was selling ot for 2500. I feel for him.

joejeff said:
Rt on. I shouldn't spend too much time on this forum. It's costing me cash. The ideas on here have spent my Nxt yrs wages lol. Having it on my phone is making it worse lol. I saw a guy w a 340 gallon on cl. He said it had 10000 in it. He was selling ot for 2500. I feel for him.

But it makes me more and more excited about this.

Hi, I'm so sorry I missed the last responses. I usually receive an email notification but didn't. Thanks for the input. Yes my tank means a lot to me. Very attached to all of my monsters. Love them. I must have at least 40-50 in there (90 gal). I now have three prefilters (the ones with the air and sponge, and one aerator) plus the FX5 Fluval. I rinse the filters once a week as well as pwc. I'm still guilty of overfeeding them though. I feel horrible to see some eating all the food and others not getting any. For now I'll continue this way and just keep testing daily and changing the water as needed.

Back
Top Bottom