Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

90 gallon American cichlid tank

Setting up 90 gallon tank with fluval fx4. I was wondering how many fish I could get. Fish I would like to get

1 green terror
1 firemouth
1 salvini
1 black convict
1 blue acara
1 electric blue jack Dempsey

What do you guys think? Would these fish work together in 90 gallon and how many more fish could I get?

Old 09-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those fish would easily work in a 90 gal. Be sure to include driftwood and a lot of rocks to break up the cichlids line of sight and provide hiding spots. Don't just limit yourself to those fish options. Research, Red Terror "Festae", Salvini Cichlid "female". Texas and Red Texas
Cichlids. All beautiful fish that I currently keep, or have kept. Pictured is my display tank scaped with Texas Holey rock and driftwood. Two Red Terrors chasing each other and a Green Terror swimming in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170919_103114.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	303867  

Old 09-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Great looking tank.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How experienced of a fishkeeper are you?

Keeping those species together is not going to be a plug and play type setup.

All those fish are variable in temperament from individual to individual.

It is not an impossible combination but be prepared to have to deal with some challenges as they start to mature.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dalto is right, things can go South real quick with the noted cichlids. Listed are some guides to success:
- Introduce all your fish into the tank as juveniles.
- Once a small group has been established, all new fish introductions need to include multiple
fish. No solitary intros. A lone fish will be hammered.
- Asap, introduce a school of large fast swimming tetras "Buenos Aires" or maybe " Australian
rainbows to grow with and serve as dither fish to distract the more agressive cichlids.
- when adding new fish to the established community, rearrange the aquascape a little to
break up territories.
I'm sure I'll remember other tips later. Even in the best of circumstances, when you keep large aggressive cichlids, injuries and death will eventually occur. Notice the Festae with half of a dither fish hanging out of her mouth. Be sure to continue your research. Keep the updates coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170919_214943.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	303872  
Old 09-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cichlids don't mess with tetras or rainbows?
Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as they are not big enough to eat them.

Neons are probably not a good idea. Tall tetras or rainbowfish.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Dalto is right, things can go South real quick with the noted cichlids. Listed are some guides to success:

- Introduce all your fish into the tank as juveniles.

- Once a small group has been established, all new fish introductions need to include multiple

fish. No solitary intros. A lone fish will be hammered.

- Asap, introduce a school of large fast swimming tetras "Buenos Aires" or maybe " Australian

rainbows to grow with and serve as dither fish to distract the more agressive cichlids.

- when adding new fish to the established community, rearrange the aquascape a little to

break up territories.

I'm sure I'll remember other tips later. Even in the best of circumstances, when you keep large aggressive cichlids, injuries and death will eventually occur. Notice the Festae with half of a dither fish hanging out of her mouth. Be sure to continue your research. Keep the updates coming.

Those would be target fish, not dither fish. Dither fish draw shy or scared fish or of hiding, target allow aggressive fish to remove aggression rather than taking it out on specific tankmates or its mate.

With that said, I would recommend picking ONE species, getting a group of 6, growing them out, finding a pair, and stocking the tank around that pair. I have never, nor will ever, be a fan of community central/South American tanks. They're typically a recipe for disaster and rarely the "good" ones are replicable.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Freakgecko, I respect your opinion regarding New World community tanks. It's not for everybody in the hobby, just like African cichlids, Asian biotypes or even shrimp and snail set ups aren't for everybody. I personally don't have trouble maintaining several mixed cichlid tanks, which include, Green and Red Terrors, Firemouths, RedTexas and Green Texas cichlids,
Jack Dempsey. All these pedatory fish are housed with Spotted Silver Dollars, Columbian Tetras, Austaiian rainbows and various African Mbuna and Peacocks, a few Fancy Plecos
and Synodontis catfish.
Most of the listed non New Worlds are fish I consider "dithers" or space taking distractors. I would not stock "target" fish. Ones that are likely to get pummeled and eventually killed. I rarely have aggression fatalities.
I disagree that successful mixed New World cichlid communities are rare. I will admit that they aren't easy and take experience, skill and research. You know as well as I that there is a rival fish forum totally dedicated to predatory fish communities. A bit extreme for me. I respect your talent. Just wanted to provide another point of view.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Geez...i just re introduced my maculipinis to my 75 and overnight, broke one of my 5" electric blue acara in half. Literally snapped it's spine. Everyone else in the tank was terrified and hiding. In his 40b timeout tank with 3 small cichlids who's name escape me,.he is boss but he doesn't hurt anyone.
What works for you may not work for others. Keeping a mixed sa/.ca tank.has been a nightmare.for me. That eba was grown out from a juivie as was the thory. Not getting rid of either but not sharing a tank. (Most likely I'll have to euthanize Eba) . Boils down to individual temperament and raising them together from little guys. Even still.. no guarantee

Tags
90 gallon, american, cichlid, gallon, ich, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com