90 gallon tank with canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxpowell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 90 gallon tank with fluval 405 and I'm planing to overstock with peacocks etc. I was wondering what other canister I should add, another 405? Or maybe an xp3 or xp4??

Thanks

Why do you want to overstock?Overstocking to me says the wrong mix of fish.If you make the right compatibility choices you won't need to overstock.Tank size and layout are a big factor in the harmony of your tank.To overstock you will need to way over filter and there will always be squabbling in your tank.Instead why not try to get the right stock and less fish with plenty of room for them to enjoy :)

Yeah but at my lfs they have an overstocked tank and it just looks amazing, all the colours! I don't really mean overstocked just overstocked to most people in this forum lol

I agree completely with garfy. However, I have seem plenty of folks who swear by overstocking. The downside to overstocking (besides the squabbling) is this: No matter how much filtration you add the end product of biological filtration is Nitrates, and filters to not effectively filter Nitrates. The only effective way to keep Nitrates in check is be doing partial water changes. So if you should choose to overstock, be prepared to do partial water changes frequently; perhaps multiple times weekly.

Maxpowell said:
I have a 90 gallon tank with fluval 405 and I'm planing to overstock with peacocks etc. I was wondering what other canister I should add, another 405? Or maybe an xp3 or xp4??

Thanks

I have a rena xp3 and 4 and I like them. I can't really compare to others because I've had these for years and never owned a different type. I run those a hob and a sump sometimes on a 180 gallon. So I think you'll be fine with a aqua clear 110 with polishing floss.

Labenator65000 said:
I agree completely with garfy. However, I have seem plenty of folks who swear by overstocking. The downside to overstocking (besides the squabbling) is this: No matter how much filtration you add the end product of biological filtration is Nitrates, and filters to not effectively filter Nitrates. The only effective way to keep Nitrates in check is be doing partial water changes. So if you should choose to overstock, be prepared to do partial water changes frequently; perhaps multiple times weekly.

I'll agree to that. I have a very overstocked tank (just under 100 fish in a 125) and in order to keep my nitrates in check I do ~80% pwc every week with an extra one on the weekends when I have the time.

Malawi Freak said:
I'll agree to that. I have a very overstocked tank (just under 100 fish in a 125) and in order to keep my nitrates in check I do ~80% pwc every week with an extra one on the weekends when I have the time.

I can relate...

Mine is not overstocked but I have an eheim canister filter the classic. It seems to do a good job no complaints here.

Back
Top Bottom