Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

A Few Questions

I had adopted some african cichlids from craigslist and most of them are hybrids (From what the guy had in his tanks I'm assuming they are Demasoni/Electric Yellow mix).

Now I am expanding my fishy friends group as I personally search my LFS for individual Cichlids I find to be beautiful.

I was considering removing the hybrids from my main tank and keeping them in a separate tank, as most of them look kinda funny/ugly. They are loved all the same, but I was hoping to curb any future cross-breeding. any thoughts/suggestions on this?

And how can I go about determining sex while on the fly at a LFS, or with my existing fish? Is it better to look for fish that have already been sexed? If so, where can you find them? I would like to keep my male/female ratios as optimal as possible.

I am also floating the idea of switching to a canister filter for my 46 gal.

Here is the one I was looking at (The EFU-35):
Aquarium Filtration & Water Quality: JBJ Lighting Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filter with UV

It would replace 2 Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel 150's.

Pro's/Con's to switching to this type of unit? Also how complicated is installation, and intensive is the upkeep on one of these.

If you need any other info to help answer my questions, don't be afraid to ask. I'm a knowledge sponge!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleA
I had adopted some african cichlids from craigslist and most of them are hybrids (From what the guy had in his tanks I'm assuming they are Demasoni/Electric Yellow mix).

Now I am expanding my fishy friends group as I personally search my LFS for individual Cichlids I find to be beautiful.

I was considering removing the hybrids from my main tank and keeping them in a separate tank, as most of them look kinda funny/ugly. They are loved all the same, but I was hoping to curb any future cross-breeding. any thoughts/suggestions on this?

And how can I go about determining sex while on the fly at a LFS, or with my existing fish? Is it better to look for fish that have already been sexed? If so, where can you find them? I would like to keep my male/female ratios as optimal as possible.

I am also floating the idea of switching to a canister filter for my 46 gal.

Here is the one I was looking at (The EFU-35):
Aquarium Filtration & Water Quality: JBJ Lighting Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filter with UV

It would replace 2 Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel 150's.

Pro's/Con's to switching to this type of unit? Also how complicated is installation, and intensive is the upkeep on one of these.

If you need any other info to help answer my questions, don't be afraid to ask. I'm a knowledge sponge!
The only way around from keeping them from cross breeding is to keep a speices only tank. They will interbreed as Cichlids do. As for sexing them I'd find witch ones you want to keep and look up the profiles. Some have different color forms between males and females. The only other real way is by venting witch takes some knowledge and from what I found out isn't easy to do.

For the filter I'm don't know anything about it but it sounds like a good deal. Most of us with Africans run more then one filter so you may want to still run one hob. If it was me I'd run a hob with just filter floss on it to pick up fine debris.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help, Andrew!

Did a little more research on the Canister filters and found these three that looked appealing/suitable for my current tank, and left the possibility open for transferring to a larger tank in the future.

Anyone have experience with any of these and can provide some review/feedback?

TruAqua DF-300 Canister Filter - 370 gph

Fluval 406 External Filter

Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filter (EFU-35, CD-35481)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleA
Thanks for the help, Andrew!

Did a little more research on the Canister filters and found these three that looked appealing/suitable for my current tank, and left the possibility open for transferring to a larger tank in the future.

Anyone have experience with any of these and can provide some review/feedback?

TruAqua DF-300 Canister Filter - 370 gph

Fluval 406 External Filter

Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filter (EFU-35, CD-35481)
That would be a good idea to get what you will need to upgrade as they will and should be in a bigger tank. Hope someone chimes in on the filters. I use rena canisters and I know a lot of people use the fx5
Old 09-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use the Fluval 306, and love it. It's quiet, and IMO does a great job filtering. The only issue I had was, upon initial set up, the o-ring for the top can be tricky to get in the right place. Once it's in though, no more issue with it. From everything I have read, the 306 is the same as the 406, only it has 3 trays instead of 4, and the size.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

What size tank? I believe the 306 is good up to 75 gallons.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 405 (the previous model to the 406, same 4 chamber filtration idea) and I like it, a bit noisey, but overall not bad. Holds A TON of media, which is always a bonus. Also is very strong current wise
Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I currently have a 46 gal. "Tall" bow-front. But im keeping my eyes open for something bigger (especially in width).
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
I have a 405 (the previous model to the 406, same 4 chamber filtration idea) and I like it, a bit noisey, but overall not bad. Holds A TON of media, which is always a bonus. Also is very strong current wise
How noisy would you say that is? And what sort of media(s) do you add to one of these things? I had never even seen/heard of one before about a month ago...
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not too terribly bad, but if my room is near silent, I can hear it. I'm being a bit over picky though lol I filled mine with mostly filter floss and I have some ceramic and bio balls in it. Mostly, I use my canister as the main place for beneficial bacteria

Tags
questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com