A Good Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soupy97

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I have a 40 breeder im going to stock with more docile new world chiclids.

Anyway, Im looking for a good pleco for my tank that does not get too big. I heard the bristle nose, and rubber lip were good choices. I also saw a Rio-Negro pleco (L-135) on live aquaria and it looks cool but I have never heard of it before so if anyone has had one it would be great to know of your experience with it.

Just looking for suggestions

Yup those are good..depends on the size you want..and price. There is some "rare" ones out there. You have quite a bit of room in a 40G B..how many cichlids ar you thinking about adding?

I can just give you my stocking list:
1x Keyhole
1x Rainbow Cichlid
6x Apistogramma (two of each of three different species)
4-5x Cories
1x Pleco

So you want another pleco? I see you already have one..or is this the stocking list that you would like?

Oh sorry that is the stocking list I would like. My tank is still cycling so I am deciding the fish I am going to get

Cories usually aren't recommended for cichild tanks I don't believe. I'm not sure about new worlds if it's okay with them, I just know for Africans. But are you looking for one to be big or something else? Cuz that's what really matters.

I absolutely love my BN pleco and my cichlids ignore him.

I second this. I have had my BN since I started a couple years ago. He's prolly around max size now and the cichlids could care less about him.

Yeah i heard the bristlenose plecos were great. Are there any plecos similar in size and behavior to the bn pleco but with different coloring or looks? Just trying to see my options.

Ya, the clown pleco is cool but mine stays hidden a lot. I also have a m-f albino bn. Love them! They're out all the time

I have an Emperor pleco in there too. Same size as the BN. He is my favorite fish in the world. But they are only wild caught and they are pricy. Mine was a gift. He is beyond beautiful. And my cichlids ignore him too.

My BN hides all day too. I think it all depends on the one you get. My jack Dempsey hides all day while others have said theirs is out all day.

Golden Chinese Algae eater is what I have, They max out at 10-12 inches, mine is only 6, Most pleco's will outgrow a 40g.

You could get a green or blue phantom Pleco. A little pricey but definitley worth it

Yeah man, i've got a green phantom. They are cool. She/he is in with a leopard frog pleco which is also cool, and a few bolivian rams, a curviceps and lots of smallish fish.

I have a flash pleco, clown pleco and golden nugget pleco in with my larger fish in my other tank, which includes a female convict, firemouth, angels, keyholes, orange chromide, rainbow cichlid and plenty of larger schooling fish.

Basically, dwarf plecos are well cool, and worth the money.

Alright thanks everyone, the phantom and emperor plecos look really cool. I'll look into those but it seems like if all else fails everyone likes the bristlenose.

I hope you get a phantom or something different since everyone has the Bristlenose I mean sure they are great fish but it would be cool to have something different.

I hope you get a phantom or something different since everyone has the Bristlenose I mean sure they are great fish but it would be cool to have something different.

True, a LFS in my area has some pretty nice plecos..might pick another one up for my 40 sometime.

Back
Top Bottom