A hard lesson learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slayer72

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday while at my LFS I noticed one of the most beautiful cichlids I`ve ever seen. Sciaenochromis fryeri. A beautiful specimen around 4 inches long. So, on impulse I bought him without doing any research. I took him home and put him in my Mbuna tank. Big mistake! At first all seemed well, everyone getting along as usual. Feeding time, no problems. Lights out at the usual time. This morning when I woke up, I found him stuck to my powerhead. I thought he was dead, luckily he was not. I nudged him and he swam away weakly. That's when I noticed his fins, ripped all to hell. I netted him and placed him in a 40 gallon community with some baby tiger barbs and a rainbow shark. Getting a closer look, he`s lucky to be alive. Now I feel about 1 inch tall. Poor guy, he seemed to be relieved to be out of the mbuna tank. The two lessons I learned, never buy a fish without doing research and Mbuna should only be housed with mbuna.

Ouch sorry to hear how he pulls through, I had a fryeri housed in my mixed tank. He went missing but I think my peacocks were the ones responsible since he was only 1". My dragons blood runs my mbuna around its funny to watch.

I have some pretty rough fish, Chipokae, Crabro, socolofi etc. They're not really aggressive amongst themselves but, they definitely didn't like "pretty boy".

Back
Top Bottom