Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

A peacock and a convict- need opinions!!

I rescued 2 cichlids, a peacock and a convict banished from a community tank for being 'pretty but too mean'. They have been together since they were in the store (according to the former owner) and are incredibly adorable when they squabble over food, play tag and explore together as though they have been friends forever.
I'm a chronic multiple tank syndrome sufferer so my existing cichlid tanks are a 150g NW cichlid community- 2 large Oscars, a full grown Dempsey, a sub adult firemouth, 2 soon to be rehomed pollini cichlids, 2 LARGE silver dollars, a large 4 lined pimodella cat and 4 med/large comet goldfish.
125g flowerhorn planted- 1 medium but fast growing flowerhorn, 1 giant red tailed shark, 2 sunshine bnp, 1 juvenile clown loach, 1 very out of place opalescent gourami.
90g vacant, planted NW cichlid tank (was the 2nd grow out tank for my flowerhorn while my 125g cycled)- may need to separate my 2 Oscars that are in my 150g considering my once 5 and 9 inch pair grew into a 10-11 inch and 14 inch pair and spawned and the female is still growing (the smaller of the 2, my male is older)
60g original flowerhorn grow out tank- currently only 1 'panama red' bristle nosed pleco. Lightly planted still deciding whether or not to restart my 30g for a Bolivian ram species only tank or use this 60g and add a couple schools of tetra. Lastly there is my 65g that I am thinking of setting up as a peacock cichlid feature tank, but I'm curious- does anyone think a peacock cichlid and a convict cichlid possibly be tank mates in a ph 7.5 65g hex or 60g regular? I believe they are similar in size and ferocity. I know that it's become more accepted to mix African and NW cichlid species, but I don't have any experience in either- mixing or Africans.. Thanks for any and all input anybody has!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

As far as I know it can be done but nobody as done it long term

I would also if you wanted to add fish add more peacocks or haps not any more convicts because convicts are by far more aggressive then peacocks or haps

Old 02-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've dealt with convicts, lol, I just recently rehomed a pair of gold convicts in my massive over population fiasco- even though I'm not a breeder, don't tell my fish that. Between convicts and live bearers my monsters have eaten very well, only a few guppy and ram fry remain. Don't judge me, lol

I think I'm gonna try to do a naturescape in my 65g hex at 7.5 and grow them out a little bit in there and then maybe just keeping this peacock and researching a little more about lake Malawi and find a centerpiece fish or aquatic amphibian and do another biotope tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
convict, peacock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com