About jag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aswin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.am new to this app.i wanna know how to sex jags. I bought a small jag around 4 inches .it has some spots .wish it's a male.pls help me out.thanks

Most central and South American male ciclids are larger than the females and have a longer dorsal fin. If the markings as juveniles include stripes, a lot of males types will eventually lose the stripes, while the female maintains them, like red terrors. I think the male jaguar cichlids
Get a more pronounced jag. Pattern.
I've never owned jags. But have kept numerous varieties of new world cichlids. At 4" your fish is probably at a point where sexual identification is possible. Jags are very commonly sold in my area and i' m sure there is abundant research material available that will help you. Post a photo when you can.

I think you got your male. The lack of bars, and the body wide distribution of the jaguar spots along with the pointed anal fin leads me to say "male".

Ok thank you..... But I doubt it to be female since the spots r not so intense right?

The color patterns will likely intensify as the fish matures. I believe the male jags have a body wide jaguar pattern, the females pattern is more broken, not as complete. Either way they are both beautiful fish.

But I prefer male only.so only curious to know it's sex or else I will exchange it with my seller to get a confirmed male........

Back
Top Bottom