Acceptable Nitrate Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Less than 10 ppm

I say 20ppm, high levels of nitrates can have all sorts of effects of long term exposure leading to death. Some examples include:

It decreases the o2 levels in the aquarium.
It decreases the ablility for reproduction.
It decreases the antibody production which help fight disease.
It causes long term damage to spleen, liver, and kidneys.
It causes lower red blood cells which regulates health such as clotting.
It leads to damage of eyes causing blindness.
It leads to death, the worst thing on the list!

I could go on and on but I'll stop there since I'm sure most people get the point. These things start to effect fish at levels of 60-80ppm, at levels in excess of 200ppm can lead to death within a few weeks.

Any idea on what Prime does as it relates to nitrates, and nitrate testing with an API dropper kit? Does it lower nitrates or skew test results?

I haven't done any experimenting with it but I've been told it can give false readings in the first 24 hours.

I don't test my water anymore unless I'm cycling or something is wrong with the fish. I just do 50% WC a week wether they are needed or not.

OK, I see. I'll give it another test tomorrow. I'm cycling right now so I'm monitoring the toxin levels closely. I'm using Prime to condition the water as I make water changes AND detoxify the ammonia while the bacteria can take hold.

Last edited:
No bingo on the Prime effect?

From seachems website:

A: The detoxification of nitrite and nitrate by Prime (when used at elevated levels) is not well understood from a mechanistic standpoint. The most likely explanation is that the nitrite and nitrate is removed in a manner similar to the way ammonia is removed; i.e. it is bound and held in a inert state until such time that bacteria in the biological filter are able to take a hold of it, break it apart and use it. Two other possible scenarios are reduction to nitrogen (N2) gas or conversion into a benign organic nitrogen compound.
I wish we had some more "concrete" explanation, but the end result is the same, it does actually detoxify nitrite and nitrate. This was unexpected chemically and thus initially we were not even aware of this, however we received numerous reports from customers stating that when they overdosed with Prime they were able to reduce or eliminate the high death rates they experienced when their nitrite and nitrate levels were high. We have received enough reports to date to ensure that this is no fluke and is in fact a verifiable function of the product.

I guess I should have specified that 10 ppm or less is my goal level, I'm pretty OCD with my water.

I'm trying to get my water where it needs to be. My levels are crazy across the board but the fish look happy and eating just fine and show no signs of stress. I used Stability initially, and now I'm using Prime to keep things as safe as possible. My API kit is hit or miss because of the use of Prime.

NLS? The fish food?

Yes sir!
img_2522304_0_586f5167608ffbc695e6958e13d17e8f.jpg

Levels

Doing 20% water change daily to lower the levels. The Nitrate was not this high yesterday, but the displayed readings are lower than before the change. Of course, Prime was involved in all the testing hence my initial questions.

Attachments

• 20130617_223435.jpg
    20130617_223435.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20130617_223441.jpg
    20130617_223441.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom