Acei?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a pair of yellow labs that are incredibly reclusive. Will acei be a suitable companion? Read they were really mild mannered, hoping to find a fish that will help the labs feel a little more comfortable and not hide so much

Yes, the acei will be great with labs. What size tank do you have? They really need room to swim and a minimum 4' tank is recommended.

I have 4 acei and 5 labs in my 90 gallon along with other fish. Another great thing with acei is that they tend to swim in the upper portion of the tank while labs and most other African cichlids are in the middle and bottom.

this is good to no because i was geting ready to do the same thing . thanks for the info.

The tank is a 30g. Guy I got it from had 7 labs and a pleco in it. And a small catfish. Don't want to keep that many in there, but would like some color to contrast the yellow

Keep your eye open on Craigslist for a deal on a 75 or 55 gallon tank, that would be much better for cichlids.

animalzrok2 said:
lol you sound so excited....

Just frustrated lol. Seems ridiculous, but I guess I should have expected it. Cichlids have bigger bio loads than other fish. After all,, oscars need like 50g for one right? Oh well, overtime and craigslist, here I come!

You should be able to find plenty of 55's on Craigslist. Every once in a while I see them free if you are quick to respond. I got a 90 gallon for free on Craigslist.

You should be able to find plenty of 55's on Craigslist. Every once in a while I see them free if you are quick to respond. I got a 90 gallon for free on Craigslist.

haha most i can find for free are ten gallons

I wish I could even find free tanks on craiglist. People in NYC are quick snappers!

But yes cichlids need at least a 55g unless you're looking at dwarf cichlids such as German Blue Rams or Kribensis. Those two could be in your 30g without the yellow labs, and you can also add other fishes.

Cornstar said:
I wish I could even find free tanks on craiglist. People in NYC are quick snappers!

But yes cichlids need at least a 55g unless you're looking at dwarf cichlids such as German Blue Rams or Kribensis. Those two could be in your 30g without the yellow labs, and you can also add other fishes.

My water is naturally crunchy and basic, will gbr work in that?

The thing with gbr is that they are very sensitive fish. And many expert aquarist here had suffered unknown deaths, so I would say it is a bit risky. But definitely a good investment and beautiful fish to look into. For gbr, you would need to keep your parameters very stable.

Cornstar said:
The thing with gbr is that they are very sensitive fish. And many expert aquarist here had suffered unknown deaths, so I would say it is a bit risky. But definitely a good investment and beautiful fish to look into. For gbr, you would need to keep your parameters very stable.

My parameters are stable, just prevents me from keeping acidic, soft fish. Ph wouldn't drop if I poured a bottle of vinegar into my tank lol. Got my eyes set on rift valley cichlids

Back
Top Bottom