Acei

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvarez

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had great problems finding acei fish at pet stores. I have found what I believe to be one at one of the LFS however it was only 1 and they wanted $40 fpr it. It was part of a mixed african cichlid tank also.

If I add Aceis I will be adding 4 of them and I WILL NOT pay $160 for them.

It has been recommended to add Aceis to my tank in the other thread. My wife is in love with african dwarf frogs are there any major concerns with them? I know the huge frogs will kill my fish however most LFS have said the dwarfs will be fine.

well that's weird, I was just at the LFS tonight and they had a tank full of Acei's I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

$40 is WAY to much to pay for Acei's. I think we got ours for $14.99. But we also went to a lfs that specializes in Lake Malawi Cichlids and almost all of ours are wild caught. BUT, it depends on what type of Acei it is. There are several variations and some are hard to find, therefore the price is greater. But if it is a regular Acei (Purple with yellow fins), then I wouldn't pay more than $15 for it.

Frogs are not good tank mates with Africans because they are slow moving targets. Well, slow compared to the Cichlids. Dwarf Frogs would be best suited for a different tank. Even a smaller tank like a 10 gal.

BTW- How far are you from STL?

I think that the cichlids will eventually eat the ADF's 8O As cichlids will usually eat anything that won't defend itself and that's small enough to fit in it's mouth.
As it has been said many times... it is not wise to trust the advise of the local fish store... most of them don't have a clue what they are talking about and many of the older one's still rely on old knowledge and myths when there have been found better ways... basically they don't bother to research online or any newer books and they rely on what they've been doing for "years"

I have found on here a wealth of knowledge and exceptionally intelligent aquarist. :mrgreen:

I wouldn't worry too much about your frogs. Your cichlids are going to be more interested in munching algae and watching their territory...so as long as the frogs avoid their caves, they should be mostly ok.

I think I can get Acei for $12.99 on sale some days. $40 is either way over priced, or it wasn't an acei.

malkore said:
I wouldn't worry too much about your frogs. Your cichlids are going to be more interested in munching algae and watching their territory...so as long as the frogs avoid their caves, they should be mostly ok.

I think I can get Acei for $12.99 on sale some days. $40 is either way over priced, or it wasn't an acei.

Well I was told that the Cichlids would eat my Danios too and they aren't interested in them in the slightest. Are you saying the dwarfs will be fine or the full size frogs will be ok?

What are the risks of a full size frog, will they eat my cichlids or my rainbow shark?

wow, the Acei's at my LFS were about $8...they were the cheap ones. lol. Too bad the things I really wanted like the yellow labs and the demasoni were $12 and $17 respectively.

jrp1588 said:
wow, the Acei's at my LFS were about $8...they were the cheap ones. lol. Too bad the things I really wanted like the yellow labs and the demasoni were $12 and $17 respectively.

Yellow Labs are 7.99 at my LFS they mainly have Labs, cobalt blues (peacocks?), Kenyi, Keyhole, parrot (purple and red), and a SLEW of peacocks... however no Aceis and out of 3 LFS NONE of them were even slightly familiar with Aceis... Maybe I should just buy online but shipping is a killer.

Anyone know about the frog question though?

Even if the cichlids were to leave the ADF alone, the ADF will likely starve. They really don't compete well. They are near blind and the food must be right in front of their nose for a while before they 'discover' it. The only suitable tankmates I have found are small fish like endlers, neons, white clouds, etc. - fish that can't eat whole brine shrimp or bloodworms, leaving them for the ADF. If you're willing to add another tank... a 2.5G would be fine for a pair.

My acei never bother any other fish in the tank aside from playing 'who's the boss' with each other (the largest fish in my tank is a very nice looking Acei), and that includes some small lemon tetra, tiger barbs, and two baby clown loaches.

I didn't consider food though. Acei are hungry pigs (like all cichlids...fish in general really) so the frogs may have a rough time staying nourished.

Back
Top Bottom