Add Angels to my 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kzoofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking into adding an angel fish or two to my planted 29 that currently have a pair of electric blue Rams, some ottos, and 3 dwarf rainbow fish.

I know I'll eventually need to put the Angels into a bigger tank, but does this stocking seem ok? Will this ruin my peaceful tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When the angels get to adult size, I imagine that they'd eat the otos.

Given that angels grow fast (up to 6" long and 8" tall), I'd wait to upgrade the tank first, and then leave the otos in your 29.

Thanks I figured that. I like my ottos to much to risk it.

I would have to disagree respectfully here. While angelfish will try to consume smaller fish, otos have spiny pectoral fins and dorsal fin. The angelfish shouldn't be able to eat them. I've kept them together before without any problems.

This may be just my tank but I've noticed the angels attack upwards. Would that make sense? Catfish fry get ignored. Other fish get ignored at the same depth but they will check out other fish above them. This is mainly the mollies.

Well now I'm confused

I would have to disagree respectfully here. While angelfish will try to consume smaller fish, otos have spiny pectoral fins and dorsal fin. The angelfish shouldn't be able to eat them. I've kept them together before without any problems.

I've never kept them together, so I'll defer to you.

With all that being said is my tank with my current stock acceptable in keeping them for a year or two. Before I get the big tank.

Back
Top Bottom