Add More Cichlids To Curb Aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1st off you are overstocked now for proper growth. 2nd over stocking does not apply with sa/CA cichlids. That is for mbuna. A 110x is good for 1 Oscar and maybe a second smaller fish.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What information can I read to reinforce that statement and learn how to properly stock the tank? The information I read was that all cichlids should be added at an earlier age while they are small and grow together rather than adding further cichlids later once one has grown as they are unlikely to survive up against an aggressive fully grown Cichlid like an Oscar.

Also I have not seen anything that states that a 110 G tank is maxed once you have a single Oscar and a smaller fish, but as mentioned I am new at this so it is very possible I am reading the wrong material here. My intentions weren't to overstock the tank like it was a SA tank but to stock it to the max that 110 G would carry once everything is fully grown.

General consensus says 1 adult Oscar only in a 55g tank. Being 4ft long, your 110g has the same lateral space as a 55g, just a little more width/height. You can try using a tank divider to separate them, but them you need to treat each side as something like a 29g tall as far as stocking goes, and that would not work for long at all.

Best bet is to pick which large fish you would rather have as a grown adult and rehome the other cichlids. The bioload on that tank is heavy

What information can I read to reinforce that statement and learn how to properly stock the tank? The information I read was that all cichlids should be added at an earlier age while they are small and grow together rather than adding further cichlids later once one has grown as they are unlikely to survive up against an aggressive fully grown Cichlid like an Oscar.

Also I have not seen anything that states that a 110 G tank is maxed once you have a single Oscar and a smaller fish, but as mentioned I am new at this so it is very possible I am reading the wrong material here. My intentions weren't to overstock the tank like it was a SA tank but to stock it to the max that 110 G would carry once everything is fully grown.

Here is some info on Oscars
Setting up an Aquarium for the Oscar Fish

Also go here and put in your info AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Take Aqadvisor's advice like you would a grain of salt, it's not that accurate.

Yes I agree but when someone wants to stuff multiple sa/CA cichlids in a 48x18 tank to curb aggression and then questions it when told not too its better than nothing. Doing this will do just the opposite.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom