Adding a second cannister need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big John

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am adding a second cannister to my tank is there anything I need to know? I have a 55g tank that is already cycled but I'm buying a new tank soon I thought if I add the cannister for that tank to my existing one for a while it will give it a good start for when I set the new tank up is this a good thing to do?

Sure is. Trouble is, every time I have done that, I've liked the result so much that I end up leaving it running and buy *another* one. No wonder my electric bill is $80 a week! :blink:

Sure is. Trouble is, every time I have done that, I've liked the result so much that I end up leaving it running and buy *another* one. No wonder my electric bill is $80 a week! :blink:
Thanks cactus pixie I must admit that has crossed my mind. That's some electric bill and I moan at £20 a week (I'm in U.K)

Thanks cactus pixie I must admit that has crossed my mind. That's some electric bill and I moan at £20 a week (I'm in U.K)

Someone posted a YouTube link to a clip called "the dark side of fish keeping" by therick2325.
Story of my life... 6 tanks, broke and alone :ROFLMAO:

Lol I'm sure it's not that but I can see how it could be the wife keeps moaning at me for all the money I keep spending. I've kept fish for nearly 20 years and have been happy with just the one tank at a time, I've had cichlids six months and I'm totally addicted I'm already on with setting a second tank up and know it won't stop there.

Lol I'm sure it's not that but I can see how it could be the wife keeps moaning at me for all the money I keep spending. I've kept fish for nearly 20 years and have been happy with just the one tank at a time, I've had cichlids six months and I'm totally addicted I'm already on with setting a second tank up and know it won't stop there.

You mean it took 20 YEARS for MTS to set in????? Your wife needs to know that she has been very fortunate up to now, but that is all going to change now. BIG TIME! Muahahaha!

I have 3 tanks a 55, 60, and 75. I feel the electric bill pain lol I have wondered how much it really done to my bill. Y'all think it makes that much of a change per tank? My electric is about 300$ a month ATM

I try not to let it worry me how much it's costing. If you start adding things up it's not a cheap hobby. I've just done a 90 mile round trip to buy 2 strawberry peacocks because I couldn't get any near me. So that's £20 in diesel and then £35 for the 2 fish but it's worth it

I have 3 tanks a 55, 60, and 75. I feel the electric bill pain lol I have wondered how much it really done to my bill. Y'all think it makes that much of a change per tank? My electric is about 300$ a month ATM

My power consumption has tripled. It's starting to get hot here now, so the heaters will go, and the portable aircon will come out to keep the tanks below 30C. In summer I also have to run a dehumidifier daily. I rent, otherwise I'd get solar panels installed!

Sounds like you need them. I don't have to worry about the heat here just the cold. I've had a disaster with the two peacocks I bought today the other fish are giving them a real hard time I had to recatch one at one point and leave him in the net. I've just turned all lights out in the room and put him back in. Hopefully he will survive the night the other one is just about fending for himself

I try not to let it worry me how much it's costing. If you start adding things up it's not a cheap hobby. I've just done a 90 mile round trip to buy 2 strawberry peacocks because I couldn't get any near me. So that's £20 in diesel and then £35 for the 2 fish but it's worth it

If you really enjoy the hobby, then its worth it. There are more expensive hobbies out there. I don't begrudge spending money on caring for my fish anymore than I would spending it on my cats and dog. I have provided my vet with a comfortable living over the years! :O

Back
Top Bottom