Adding discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy smokes I am so sorry!!!!!! I am about to cry for you!!!! You could try soaking the food in garlic I believe...

hmmm, doesnt adding mopani or any kind of driftwood drop the pH? I just tested it and the results show it's 6.0. I think I had a pH crash.

I see white spots on my blue, dont know if its really ich or not. I'm extremely concerned. I want to put him in my qt but I didnt have my heater hooked up so the waters too cool. it's just him and my PB. What can I do? Can I up the temp to save levels and add some aquarium salt to the main tank since they are the only ones in there?

yea, i added some aquarium salt to the main tank. they are both still with me.

can i assume the mopani wood I recently added as the source of my pH crash? I made no other changes to the tank other than a regular water change.

If you havent yet I would start a new thread, you arent suppose to hijack others and you will get a lot more responses that way.

But back to this thread. Everything is a lot better! Since my tank was mini cycling I removed a bunch of my fish to reduce the bioload on my filter. I used no meds at all. And everyone is doing amazing! My little blue guy that had the cloudy eye is completely healed up. I thought he was going to be gone for sure.
Now I did have one death which really did hurt, my pigeon blood passed away. I also ventured into the world of plants...

I need to purchase some more pfs to make my substrate deeper but everything is doing awesome right now... I need to rearrange some things but im still thinking of where it should all go. I purchased some val. jungle (I believe), spirialis crypt, and 2 amazon swords. My one sword has already sent out runners and I waa able to clipped the one of and plant it. It's still growing and ita green so it must still be alive.

Im using nutrafin plant grow for my fert. Is there anything I should know about those stuff? Is there any other ferts I should consider, I've heard a lot about flourish excel but all I could find was the nitrogen stuff.. Also I have a double t8 light fixture 48" what type of lighting would you consider that to be? Zoo med tropical Sun 5500k

Here's the family. I think im going to purchase one more to make it 7. Also my one discus is rather shy. The pearl pigeon blood. He isn't sick from what I can see. He eat and everything and comes out when I come up to the tank but for the most part he just sits around my flower pot... Im sure he will get more active in a little while. It is a discus.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130706_075341.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130706_075341.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 71
I got the cobalt blue, leopard turquoise, pearl pigeon blood, and the little grey guy (who was said to be a royal turquoise but is looking more to the leopard everyday) from a place called pets and ponds. The blue was 29.99 leopard and pearl were 59.99 and the grey guy for 10 and he through in a bunch of java fern also (which I forgot to mention earlier).
I got my other pigeon blood, it was labeled as super red but Its more of a red melon to me. He was 59.99 from southwest pets.
And the tourquise was 47.99 from pet paradise.

My last discus is going to be from big als most likely. As long as they are gourgeous.

So far so good! After a week my nitrate readings are well I'd say amazing! I used a nutrafin test and an API test. I actually used two nutrafin test and then went out and bought a API kit.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130721_225349.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130721_225349.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 59
  • ForumRunner_20130721_225407.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130721_225407.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 49
Lol no just when I would normally have done my water change. So I guess my plants are eating all the waste from my fish

Roger that! I was thinking about going w/ just discus in a bare tank. Makes me think a bit more about plants.

Well I was originally going to do just sand and my dw but plants are so beneficial

So do they just stay planted in the sand, or are they anchored? Also, do you have a discus only tank?

They will stay planted in the sand, sometimes it might take some time for the roots to establish but once they do it's all good in my experience but this is also my only experience. When I originally stocked the tank I had a lot more then I do now. My tank went through a mini cycle when I first put my discus in my tank. So I removed a bunch of baby plecos. I had a pair of German blue rams in with them but the female would also nip my discus so I removed them and put them in a breeding tank. I also removed my cories recently but am most likely going to put them back in. I was also thinking of getting some cardinals for the tank. The would look amazing with my black background. I bought

Lol I didnt even answer your question... Right now it has 8 discus 6 rummynose tetras and a bnp

My jungle val melted on me but other then that I'd say it looks good. My one discus is stunted though from the cycle in the beginning..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130826_215140.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130826_215140.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 52
Ya I did that, it just lost half the height it had.

Back
Top Bottom