Adding labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molson_28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying a new method I learned. Keeping the cichlids in a box for a few days so the others get used to them before I add them. It has worked for me before

Attachments

• image-2308607367.jpg
    image-2308607367.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 80
Sounds stressful for the new fish. Coming from the supplier to the LFS, dumped in a bag then kept confined for days. Best way I've found is to feed existing fish, turn off lights then release new fish. They will then find somewhere to hide and be fine by the next day.

I see your point. I tried that method though with my plecos and they did not make it

Sounds stressful for the new fish. Coming from the supplier to the LFS, dumped in a bag then kept confined for days. Best way I've found is to feed existing fish, turn off lights then release new fish. They will then find somewhere to hide and be fine by the next day.

I agree with this.

The new fish have no place to hide causing extra stress. Think if you were stuck in the middle of a baseball stadium with everyone just staring at you. I bet you wouldn't just stand on the pitchers mound for long. Natural tendency would be head for bleachers. In a sense this is what you are forcing the new fish to do.

I've done this and it work for me. But I had some fake plants around it to make them feel more protected. After releasing the new guy, the others never bothered.

Ya I hear what you guys are saying but the labs really don't seem stressed at all and this method has worked for me in the past. Once you release them the other fish have pretty much no interest.

Thank you, how long should I leave them in the dark???

Yes I'm going to add 3. I know it's supposed to be 2 at a time but I'm trying 3. I wanna get my numbers up in my tank to spread out the aggression. Some people say this is wrong some say it's right. I'm not sure but all the successful mbuna tanks I've seen have been overstocked

Yes I'm going to add 3. I know it's supposed to be 2 at a time but I'm trying 3. I wanna get my numbers up in my tank to spread out the aggression. Some people say this is wrong some say it's right. I'm not sure but all the successful mbuna tanks I've seen have been overstocked

You can add as many as you want at a time as long as you can keep the water right. It's actually best to add a ton then just one or two. The older ones that are in the tank will chase and stress the newbies. So adding more is better that way they don't chase the same one around and stress them out

Back
Top Bottom