Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Adding malawi s.

Hi all, I currently have a 63gal mixed Malawi tank which currently houses eight mixed Malawi. I want to increase this number however what's the best way to go about it. I tried adding an aulonocara the other day but the other occupants killed it in under six hours. Cheers.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoor3773 View Post
Hi all, I currently have a 63gal mixed Malawi tank which currently houses eight mixed Malawi. I want to increase this number however what's the best way to go about it. I tried adding an aulonocara the other day but the other occupants killed it in under six hours. Cheers.
You need to rearrange all the aquascaping in your tank prior to releasing the new occupants. This will put the established fish in the position of having to establish new territories and will get the newly introduced fish a greater chance of surviving.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also turn out the lights before adding and keep off for a day or so. I feed mine a few hours before adding and then rearrange right before adding the new fish. Adding several is better they can't prey on one single fish.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoor3773 View Post
...I tried adding an aulonocara the other day...
I agree with Bl80. You've got to add more than one at a time (4+, unless you have a bunch of the same kind already in the tank that will provide a 'crowd' that it can melt into or if it a more aggressive species than the established fish).

Tags
malawi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com