Adding new cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyJBBPJMT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there any way to temporarily reduce the aggressiveness of larger males so I can add some smaller cichlids to the tank without them getting bullied.

Keep the tank dark and the more you're adding to the tank the better, since the aggression won't be towards only 1.

I always add my fish by feeding the current fish and then pull a dark cover over the tank with the lights off in that specific room... Pitch black keeps them calm. Then they all wake up together... ;)

Lol @Doug4702 I just imagined fishes waking up next to fishes they don't know thinking, "What happened last night?"

Is there any way to temporarily reduce the aggressiveness of larger males so I can add some smaller cichlids to the tank without them getting bullied.

What type of cichlids are we talking about here? If you are talking most Rift Lake African species were the large males are claiming territories, making the tank dark isn't going to help much. Moving the rock work and decorations around so you force the dominant males to establish new territories will help more than anything. Additionally adding more all at once rather than a few will also help.

Low key they're going to get investigated eventually by the rest hopefully no one tried to kill them. Added a few myself not to long ago, way smaller than my originals and they fell into there place in the pecking order

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I always wait tell night time. Leave the new fish in the bag adjusting to the temp. I will remove all decor add the new fish. Set the decor in a new arrangement. Wait tell the next day to turn on lights. Always works for me

Well, drastically changed the aquascape (from river rock to the slate stone) fed the big ones, turned off the light and fed them. They are all doing fineImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396923811.886826.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396923859.917641.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396923906.135845.jpg

Back
Top Bottom