Adding new cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suntwisty4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Should i quarantine my new arrivals or add to main tank (when i say add only fish after they mixed with main temp water and brought up to same temp). I don't buy from any large chain store, only one local store all they do is fish! Only reason i dont have a quarantine tank right now.
udapynu8.jpg

Sent from my VS920 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you're comfortable with the health of the fish add them without QT. I never use QT, but I have over 20 tanks and can keep a sharp eye on things.

Adding new cichlids can be a problem in an established tank and every square inch is claimed territory. I'd suggest putting all the fish in a 5gal, or several 5gal buckets, rearrange the tank decorations and then put everyone in. This changes the dynamics and no territory is claimed. If you don't take my advise you likely end up with a bloodbath.

I have done both ways but it makes me nervous adding direct to my show tank. I would hate to get my current stock sick because it would cost a lot of money to replace. I have a 29g I use as a qt tank. I usually only leave them in there for a week or so even though I should wait longer. I haven't had a problem with sickness if a fish looks a little questionable I don't buy it no matter how much I want to. When I add them to the main tank I try to do a minimum of two at a time but more works better. I just added 2 a week ago 1 got bullied for a few days but I kept the lights off for 2 days and it helped he settled in after a few days.

You can do it either way. I qt all my new fish just to make sure, because medicating a large tank is no fun at all and expensive. But with a smaller tank, i don't think its as big of a deal.

Thank you everyone for advice.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom