Adding Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some new rock, and i want to get rid pf my old fake rocks.
My questions are...
Would a 5g wc after i remove the old rocks, and a 5g wc after these rocks are put into place be good enough?
I have a 40g tank, and heres a pic of my tank as of now, and the rocks i want to add.

Attachments

• image-3898952195.jpg
    image-3898952195.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 172
  • image-1477728864.jpg
    image-1477728864.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 171
I was wanting it to look like this.

Attachments

• image-906833353.jpg
    image-906833353.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 168
I normally just remove the old rocks and vacuum the entire substrate clean then place the new ones in the formation to your liking. The water change after the rocks are placed really shouldn't be needed, I generally switch out during my weekly 50% water changes.

Thanks Hukit!

My dad is getting worried about the weight of everything. Its a 40g tank on the 2nd floor of a 5 or so year old house.
The tank has been on the 2nd floor for a year or so, and the tank has been moved a cpl inches ery cpl months. Is this too much weight?

Thanks Hukit!

My dad is getting worried about the weight of everything. Its a 40g tank on the 2nd floor of a 5 or so year old house.
The tank has been on the 2nd floor for a year or so, and the tank has been moved a cpl inches ery cpl months. Is this too much weight?

Far from it lol. If your house was built to code 5 yrs ago then you could handle much more then that.

Thanks Mrc!

Im going to get some aquarium safe silicone, and put it in the tank in sections.
What is the usual curing time for silicone?
Well my dad is in love with the fake rocks so i am going to leave the smaller fake rock in the tank for a week, and maybe he will see how real rocks look lol.
I might add another inch of sand to the tank sometime soon.
I like ur profile pic hukit, people need to look at the whole situation in a different way.

I grabbed some holdfast for the rocks.

Attachments

• image-3605120886.jpg
    image-3605120886.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 135
Its going to end up looking really nice especially if you do the rocks in the formation you posted in the pic. I think your dad will agree once its all done. Sometimes its hard to envision. The hold fast is a good idea but think about maybe only securing few of the rocks. You may want to change it around down the road and it will also make vacuuming a bit easier if you can take a few out from time to time.

Thanks wolf!

I got the big support rocks glued down, and the smaller ones are on their own.
I have a cpl more big slabs of this stuff, so i will prob expand it a bit once it gets settled.

It hardens, but i believe that its not to bad.

I got it bcuz im always worried about my rocks falling when im gone, and maybe this will give me a break lol. I believe that its pretty popular for attaching corals, and aquascaping with rock in sw, so i dont think its to bad.

I mean fawk rocks haha.
Milled and stacked just looks to have too much human involvement. Cichlids will love the cozy apartment complex it creates though.

I liked the fake rocks alot, but i really like the natural look of real rock.
I got the rock glues to each other, and the rocks are stable.:)
Front view and back view

Attachments

• image-522541150.jpg
    image-522541150.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3259086336.jpg
    image-3259086336.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 118
How exactly does one drop that in a tank? You'd better stretch out your hammy and use proper lifting technique:). You should video this rocky maneuver?

Haha

Its going in tommarrow morning, and i can already see that im going to want to add more rocks.
I think im going to put wash cloths on the edges of the rocks so i dont scratch the glass.
That glue stuff was so sticky! Its still stuck on my hands :(.
The one thing thats going to be a pain in the butt is getting the fish out of the rocks. Last time i took them out, my electric yellow was stick in it and i didnt even know it was in there.

I'll recommend ungluing those rocks and stacking them individually within your aquarium. As much as I want to see you hoist that single unit and gently place it in your aquarium, I can't with a good conscience do that. Those flat surfaced slabs will be more than fine stacked unglued. In fact that will give you freedom to change the landscape later on. You'll also be able to take the rock out for thorough cleaning sessions.

Back
Top Bottom