Adding sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuckerp

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best way to rinse play sand before adding it to your tank?

I put mine in 5g buckets.

Fill the buckets up half way, insert a hose, and dump the water until it runs clean.
Stir the sand with ur hand every so often, and once u think its clean, wash it again.

What if I just through petland aquarium sand in my fish less tank without rinsing it?

Don't recommend it. Don't be lazy, rinse it a couple times. It's easy... And if u do just through it in there turn off Ur filter until it settles.

I'm saying I already did, when I started it before I put fish in. If I would have known at the time that its recommended too rinse it I would have.

I'm saying I already did, when I started it before I put fish in. If I would have known at the time that its recommended too rinse it I would have.

Ohhhh I miss read. Thought it was a "what if" scenario. Well if you already did then there's nothing to say or do lol. Just let it settle.

Well It washed clean quicker than I thought. There's a ton of snow outside so I rinsed the sand with a bucket in the washtub. I made a big mess and may have washed a ton if silt down the drain, but the tank looks great!

What is the best way to rinse play sand before adding it to your tank?

Oh boy I just had the time of my life doing this. I would do 5 gallon buckets with a hose. Don't turn the hose up to high. You want to use your hands to stir up the San not the force of the water or you may lose a lot of the fine sand. Took me awhile. I have 150 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom