Advice needed on starting cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is from live aquaria

QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Aggressive
Water Conditions: 78-82° F, KH 5-12, pH 6.5-8.0
Max. Size: 10"
Color Form: Black, Blue, Clear, Green, Tan
Diet: Carnivore
Origin: Central America, Farm Raised, USA
Family: Cichlidae

What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here

overview
The Jack Dempsey is a popular freshwater fish that originates in the murky warm waters of Central America. It has a base color of dark brown to gray, and displays many iridescent blue and green spots, giving this fish a spectacular look. When breeding, these colors will intensify. The dorsal fin is lined in red, and the female's overall coloration is subdued compared to the male.
The Jack Dempsey requires an aquarium of at least 50-gallons, with a fine sand bottom. There should be rocks and roots for them to hide among. The plants should be hardy as the Jack Dempsey will burrow around and attack them. The aquarium should be divided into territories using hardy plants, if possible. They are territorial and will eat smaller fish that they can swallow.

It is difficult to distinguish between the male and female Jack Dempsey. The females are less brightly colored and usually smaller then the males. Neutral water with soft to medium hardness, a pH of approximately 7.0, and temperatures of 78-82°F is recommended. Jack Dempsey's are open breeders that need well-oxygenated water. They spawn in burrows, laying up to 500 eggs. The fry are well protected by the parents, and once mated, they will continue to spawn once the fry have grown.

Jack Dempsey is carnivorous and will eat most prepared and frozen foods, including freeze-dried bloodworms, tubifex, and ocean plankton, as well as live fish.

Thanks! I've read so many of those online things and each one says something slightly different I just get lost on what to believe and what to listen to just get a little too over my head

In my opinion thats about right for a Rocio octofasciata (Jack Dempsey) A 75 gallon would be better in the long run. I have a Herichthys Carpintis (Green Texas) in a 55 but will be moving him to a 75 soon and he is only about 5" right now. I also recomend at least 10x the tank size in GPH for filtration. These Central Americans are messy fish.

All I said was I know someone that keeps one jack In a 20 gallon tank. He does in fact get along fine, he is not stressed and stays fairly active. There is no end all be all of fish keeping and there is absolutely no need to be such an *******! There are people that will tell you to only keep 3-4 Africans in 4 ft tank and then there are those that insist the tank be over stocked 10-15+ to reduce aggression! Then you have people that say 1 gallon per inch of fish........ As long as you keep your water changed and treated properly that jack will be just fine in a 30 gallon. If it is neglect then how do you explain 9 inch flower horns kept for weeks and sometimes months in 10-15 gallon tanks at a lfs? I guess they make a living from selling neglected fish. C'mon really?

Woah woah, calm down. I do agree keeping a JD in a 20 gallon is a terrible idea... Anyways...

I would do one JD in a 55g or 1 JD in a 75g (even better) and a small school of dithers maybe...

All I said was I know someone that keeps one jack In a 20 gallon tank. He does in fact get along fine, he is not stressed and stays fairly active. There is no end all be all of fish keeping and there is absolutely no need to be such an *******! There are people that will tell you to only keep 3-4 Africans in 4 ft tank and then there are those that insist the tank be over stocked 10-15+ to reduce aggression! Then you have people that say 1 gallon per inch of fish........ As long as you keep your water changed and treated properly that jack will be just fine in a 30 gallon. If it is neglect then how do you explain 9 inch flower horns kept for weeks and sometimes months in 10-15 gallon tanks at a lfs? I guess they make a living from selling neglected fish. C'mon really?

Youre confusing my honesty with be being a.. i was simply doing what i could/can to prevent any fish being placed in unsuitable conditions. A possible 8inch fish in a 20gallons is ridiculous. I was simply trying to stem a problem i saw could possibly be arrising and i would do exactly the same again.

1inch per gallon is completely out dated and anyone with a logical brain i would like to think could work that out themselves. A 10inch oscar cant be stuffed into a 10gallon and thats 1inch per gallon, It doesnt work. Also different fish will occupy different levels in the aquarium creating or reducing space.

You mention the africans being under and overstocked, yes this is completely different as usually the recommended tank itself is actually big enough for them to stretch and swim end to end. Aslong as youre doing extra water changes it can work. A grown jackD in a 20g could barely move so its a completely different situation.

Talking about lfs keeping fish in unsuitable tanks has little to no importance to home keeping. But yes they do, absolutely they make a living neglected fish, theyre a business not a shelter. I like to save fish not then put them into another bad situation. So im sorry for any offence, its passion rather than negativity.

Last edited:
Well good and bad news, with the combination of what I have learned from this conversation and the surprise I woke up to this morning the Jack Dempsey tank had been put on hold for a while... I went to check my plants this morning and low and behold my boyfriend with help from my parents had snuck in a fish, that he and I rescued to put into his tank, into my tank... Baby as he is referred to is an inch long angelicus botia loach that now has a 30 gallon tank all to himself ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388081554.130066.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388081572.313680.jpg

Yes he is.... He has already dug up several plants.... We saved him from a small child at the chain pet store asking if he could have him and his mom said no you can't put a little fish in with what ever large fish he had already because he would be eaten and the kid said ya I know! That's why I want him....

I'm not really sure.... Is doesn't stay very still for very long.... Even in the bag coming from the store... Is it weird that he also goes up to the top sticks his head outa the water and just stirs there for a few seconds maybe 10 or so then goes back down...

He's just looking for someone to talk to! Lol you should get some small cichlids for him to grow up with.

He has lots of friends... The heater, the thermometer, the filter, the rock castle, all his plants... Haha jk he is just going crazy in there... Looks like a brand new baby puppy running all over the house.. Any suggestions on what could get along with him?

If I'm not mistaken most loaches get pretty good size. Maybe a small yellow lab, or some other mbunas. Let them grow up together

I have a clown loach that's about 5 inches and I have seen huge ones 7"+

He has lots of friends... The heater, the thermometer, the filter, the rock castle, all his plants... Haha jk he is just going crazy in there... Looks like a brand new baby puppy running all over the house.. Any suggestions on what could get along with him?

The only thing I would put with angelicus (aka kubotai loaches) loaches are community fish, the best being more kubotai loaches. They are large schoolers and won't do well on their own. Minimum 5 generally but a 30g is too small. If you wish to keep him/her healthy, upgrade to something like a 55g and add 4 more mininum. If you're not going to upgrade, rehome.

I'm assuming most loaches grow to similar size, but May be mistaken. Mine was about an inch when I got him

Back
Top Bottom